• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brainwashed

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So as I saw the evolution of the MOA's in the comps--I always told myself I would never run one of those clown cars. Ya I was a die hard shafty guy--picking on the MOA guys.

Well as time went on and at comps I would sit there and disect the cars ability, I got to thinking. Was I starting to be brainwashed by some kind of alien being. Could be.

Well I have considered myself a decent driver--usually placing pretty good in the field. Well I got a chance to drive one for a while--pushing its limits to see what it was capable of. Well lets just say shortly after I started planing the new rig-- and after learning my way thru the TLT stuff and really figuing out how to properly build a rig and doing alot of reading on what axle I wanted to go with--I pulled the lever.

Ya, I was brainwashed for sure.

So here are the rough specs of the rig.

Axles--RC4WD bully axles
Motors--14t cobalt 454 pullers
ESC-- Tekin FXR (also got the hotwire interface)
Punk dig switch
Steering servo-- JR DS8711HV 480oz at 7.4 volts
Castle BEC
Power source--not 100% sure on what I am going to run
Wheels--I am not sure but I will see how my current ones work out.
The chassis will be--like all my others a custom one.

SO let the games begin

moa1.jpg

moa2.jpg

I am hoping to start the chassis on monday

Ya....16" wheelbase.

The whole "disconnection" of the power is sometimes weird.......but worth it.

Ya--this is a 2.2--simular but still a different beast.. Ya---it will be a little odd getting use to the clogging. But nice factor is there will be zero mechanical parts except the diffs themselfs--rest will be fully electronic..

I hated my clod tuber. The stall, and lost lines do to the fronts spinning suck.:puke:

I imagine it would be less in a smaller version. The 2.2 probally is light enough to get rid of some of it? eh?

I hated my clod tuber. The stall, and lost lines do to the fronts spinning suck.:puke:

I imagine it would be less in a smaller version. The 2.2 probally is light enough to get rid of some of it? eh?

Thats why you use quality parts and do it right--so those problems are minimal.

SO time to start doing something.

For shits and gigles I decided to throw the axles on the scale...

Here is the front at 1lb 6.5ouz

moa4.jpg

Here is the rear at 1lb 4.5ouz

moa3.jpg

I got my 454 cobalt pullers finally from holmes hobbies...

moa5.jpg

Here you can see the size difference comapred to a trypical 540 size 55 turn motor.

moa6.jpg

The cobalt puller sits at 3.7ouz

moa7.jpg

And the common 540 55 turn at 5.9ouz

moa8.jpg

So since the cobalt is a smaller can--you have to use an adapter. I am going to try the HH ones that came with the motors and see how they hold up (ones shown in the picture)

moa9.jpg

Once the adpater is in place the 3mm bolt that holds the adapter to the diff hits the taper on the motor "just" after full thread engagement into the adapter. Now I could have just shoterned the bolt but I still wanted a little more threads thru/past the adpater.

moa10.jpg

Also I chose to go with 11r and 12f on the pinions(for now). So once I got tha motor location/figured out what holes on the adapters I was going to use I went and put a small(4mm) notch into the motor. At this point I had to remove roughly 1/16" off the bolts for the motor adapter to sit firmly against the axle.

moa11.jpg

One odd thing about this particular motor the notch in the armature shaft for the pinion set screw does not go the full length of the shaft like all the 540 motors I have seen. With the motor adapter and the pinion slid as far as you can go on the flat spot--the pinion was shy less than a 1/16" to full engagement on the gear it rides on in the axles.

moa12.jpg

That was an easy fix--I just filed the notch in the shaft--piece of cake..

moa13.jpg

So I went ahead and got the motors all bolted down...

moa14.jpg

So now I am ready to start building the chassis..

You have any plans on going to any of our comps over here?? I might try and make some of your closer ones like the pass and kacheese... Wont have to take off so soon next time... Damn weddings!

So with the axles ready---it was time.

moa15.jpg

Here is the chassis--in its VERY rough form,lol.. I got lucky and had some delrin chunks laying around, otherwise I would use the other material that I have used in the past.

moa16.jpg