• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

brake update for a 85 toyota

ICEHAWK

I have a 85 toyota sr5 that needs new front brake and I going to do the v-6 brake on it but need to know what rotor to get.

if i do this will I have to run wheel speacer?
I would like to doit this weekend
please help

IFS vented disks and four piston calipers are the way to go. THen move your front stuff to the back!!!

You might consider an FZJ80 master cylinder in there as well.

IFS is anything post 1985 if I remember correctly.

IFS vented disks and four piston calipers are the way to go. THen move your front stuff to the back!!!

You might consider an FZJ80 master cylinder in there as well.

IFS is anything post 1985 if I remember correctly.

then you will need a proportioning vavle for the rear and loose you LSVP:awesomework: i went with chevy disks in the rear... seams to work fine

Its NOT just any old IFS vented discs you use if you're working on a solid axle. Its FJ60 Landcruiser rotors, and either IFS calipers (one big one small piston), or the later "V6" calipers (two big pistons). Got my rotors at Napa for $17 each, application was an 85 Landcruiser. I just did this swap and my wheels no longer fit, Ill attach a picture. The calipers stick out past the wheel mounting surface.

Point of fact, the "V6" calipers are also on non-V6 trucks after 90. I have a set I got off a 94 4Runner with a V6, and a set of a 90 Pickup with a 22RE and they're identical, although different (bigger pistons) than whats on my 87 4Runner.

My brakes are now the LC rotors, "V6" calipers, stock 10" drums on the wide track rear (versus the 8" drums on the stock rear), 15/16" master cylinder, and a dual diaphragm brake booster. I haven't driven it yet, but I figure it should stop pretty well. A rear disc swap is in the works eventually after I finish the front end. Brackets are on the way. I just put the new rear end in before I tore down the front, so I haven't had time to mod it. Hell, I didn't even swap my geared and locked diff into it yet, haha.

~T.J.

Last edited:
Well, its not a need to thing. More like, if your wheels will fit, more power to you. Mine ALMOST fit. With the offset they have, and the design, they almost clear the calipers. Its hard to describe, but the center where it mounts is flat, but then they angle out towards the middle of the wheel itself (for the offset), and if that angle was a little steeper, they would clear. Ive heard of people grinding the calipers a little to get the room they need, and I bet I could get away with that. But, since I have the wide track rear in my truck, I wanted spacers up front to match the rear anyway. So, 1.5" spacers it is for me.

~T.J.

when i did my sas i used land cruiser rotors and my stock 4cyl calipers. they stuck out a little past the mounting surface on the hub, i just went to pep boys and got a little cheapo universal 1/4 aluminum spacer that took care of it.

Latest posts