• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brakes, Manual vs Booster Opinions Wanted

JEEPKEVIN

I'm to the point in my build that I'm ready to make a choice.

I have King pin GM 60 front with new OEM disk and calipers, 14 bolt rear with Lugnut 3/4t disk conversion and the smaller JB6? calipers.

I have Stock LM7 5.3, 4L60E, Atlas 5.0, 4.56's and 43 SX

This buggy is a recreational trail rig, something the wife can drive but prob not on the hardcore stuff. Our favorite places are Clayton, Hot Springs, Hidden Falls.

I have room to run the OEM master and booster. Oreillys sells the 1 ton combo for $120 appx. Or I can go manual with a Wilwood set up.

I understand that raising the stall on the converter may help me not drive through the brakes but hoping to run stock trans parts to start with until I can determine that best option.

Please let me know your thoughts. I have read till I'm blue in the face but seems like there is no definitive answer. I think I'm just more confused!!!

Thanks for your input!!!

The only manual brakes I've been happy with were pinion brakes on a set of rockwells.
Other than that I've ran a booster on everything

whiskeymakin said:
The only manual brakes I've been happy with were pinion brakes on a set of rockwells.
Other than that I've ran a booster on everything

I was in the same boat...super unhappy with manual brakes (CNC pedal and masters, 1/2 chevy rotors and calipers) until I just ponied up and bought good brakes. Spidertrax 14" rotors, wilwood 4 piston calipers on all 4 corners and the same CNC pedal and masters. 60/14 bolt

It will stop great now...and I am not even using the "nice" wilwood 6 piston calipers.

If you can fit the stock booster setups they are cheaper - but there are issues that can arise from them too for some folks.

I like simple...it just so happens that in this case, simple wasnt the cheapest option...but its still really simple.

I have the same setup. Ford hp60 in front stock two piston calipers and a 14 bolt rear with a lugnut 4x4 kit. If you can boost your brakes do it. I have 7/8 wilwoods and I can't lockup. It will stop, even on the steep stuff but more brake with less leg would be nice. I'm trying to source a remote booster now to make it stop better. Only ones I can find are spendy so I may end up with 3/4 or 5/8 masters but don't know if they will have enough volume. I dont think you will ever complain that it stops to good.

I have Wilwood manual. It is the only manual brake trail rig I have wheeled. They definitely work and can halt the buggy quickly, but I have to use some good leg strength to hold it on steep hills. Sound pretty typical?

nhl_bullitt said:
I have Wilwood manual. It is the only manual brake trail rig I have wheeled. They definitely work and can halt the buggy quickly, but I have to use some good leg strength to hold it on steep hills. Sound pretty typical?

mine does require some decent leg to hold it downhill in 4 low (in N or hi gear it doesnt require much at all) so mine is potentially due to a slightly lower converter too ~2500 stall

It will stop pretty easily and holds well.

those remote boosters are real nice! If you do end up deciding to get one, I am interested just for curiosity sake how it does. I looked into them a bit with my old brake setup

I used a hydro assist from a ford mustang and its awesome.. very compact. Very powerful. Takes no real effort to use or hold. and was cheaper than many manual systems I have used.

Re:

I've lost brakes twice on vacuum boosted brakes and had them magically work again........I will only ride with two master cylinders now or nothing. Manual for me for now.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

I have the exact same axles and calipers and same tires. I was in your shoes a few months back. Everyone had an opinion they felt strongly about, but there were too many for me to decide. Luckily a buddy of mine had just built a buggy and parted out his 1ton YJ. He had a booster and master cylinder combo that he let me try. I wanted EXCELLENT brakes, and that's what I got! I can lock down the 43's with one pinky toe. He got them from Off Again 4X4. I don't know bore sizes or anything. I just know it works awesome! Worth a phone call anyway. Link below.

http://www.offagain4x4.com/navajo_brakes.html

Talked to Cody at Off Again 4x4. Explained what I have and he commonly builds units to order for people just like me. 9" Booster and master is just under $400 plus shipping. Nice guy, good explanation of what I will have.

Read about the 96-04 mustang hydro boost. About $200 from local auto parts place, 1 1/16" bore master. Seems like a really compact and good solution as well.

This weekend is the Off Road Expo here in Dallas. Gonna swing by WOD and a few others and get their opinions. Also sneak a peak at similar builds similar to mine. Maybe some spring rate ideas, carrier bearing ideas, dash layout. Should be a good learning trip.

Thanks for your help guys!! I'll report back with what I learn.

Might be worth shooting extremetownie/ Roger King a message, pretty sure he found a super compact electric/hydro boost setup he was going to test out in his single seater. I'll see if I can find where he posted about it.

Found it.

extremetownie said:
Well i got the best brakes ever, on anything i have ever driven . This setup is incredible. The instructions suck but the performs in wonderful, I can lock down all four tires going 30 mph with little to no effort.
I studied and studied and cant figure out how it works,but it works. Also it will work as manual brakes in a worse case scenario. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=master+cyclinder+electric+assist

this also has some discount one also,but with no warranty.

I'm in the process of swapping to hydro boost at the moment. I can get the parts pretty reasonable. I'll let you know in a couple days how they work if you want. My manual two master cylinder wilwood setup was sucking. Time for a change

pholmann said:
I'm in the process of swapping to hydro boost at the moment. I can get the parts pretty reasonable. I'll let you know in a couple days how they work if you want. My manual two master cylinder wilwood setup was sucking. Time for a change

Everyone I know that has ran that setup has been disappointed!

One of the guys I ride with has it and you best have your harness on before you hit the brakes because it'll sling you out. I hope mine are half as good and I'll be happy with them. The other way just wasn't working.

I've heard of people on the interweb being happy with them. But even after calling them directly and getting the "correct" setup for their calipers my buddies have at best resorted to accepting their brakes. I'm just wondering where the difference is coming in at? Finding the answer could benefit us all. Where's Billavista when you need him?

I figure if this doesn't fix it I'll keep moving outward until I figure it out. I'm running the half-3/4 ton calipers and rotors front and rear. I picked up a couple residual valves to plumb in.

pholmann said:

Let me know what you do, I'm ready to change mine also.

Latest posts