• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Broke in new Chainsaw finally

JBuck

Well finally got some free time to bread in my new saw. It is a Stihl MS460. All in all I only fell 5 tree's smallest was 16" going up to 40" or so. I burried my 36" bar, had to cut from both sides.

Trees002.jpg

Trees004.jpg

Trees005.jpg

And this is what happens when you are too slow with the wedge. It sat back on my bar and kinda got pinched. All of the limbs were on the opposite side of the way I wanted it to go.

Trees007.jpg

Trees008.jpg

Trees009.jpg

Had to take the power head off to make sure it didn't get damaged. But all it took was a block and warn.

Trees012.jpg

yeah I'm going to pick some smaller ones up. I only had the longer 12 inchers and I tried as soon as I could. I'm still a saw Noob though. Having one of my cousins come over and help tomorrow, he's a logger that knows what hes doing.

Had to do a double take 'cause those pics looked familiar... Then I realized it's because I had just seen your thread over on AS :haha: Always funny to run into people across boards :cool:

I've been bitten by those smaller DBH against the lean trees that are hard to get a wedge into early enough once or twice. Now I've learned to just do the back cut first, setting the back of the hinge and tapping a wedge in just enough to keep the kerf open. Then I'll cut the face and once I'm happy with it, drive the wedge home. Problem solved and haven't had an issue since.

BTW, if you don't already have it, I highly recommend "Professional Timber Falling" by Douglas Dent

17309_L.jpg

Read through it many times!! I personally like it better than "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work" by Jerry (G.F.) Beranek but both are excellent reads :awesomework:

Thanks for the titles. I'll have to look them up when I get home. I still got two acres to clear.

Thanks for the titles. I'll have to look them up when I get home. I still got two acres to clear.

You can get them both from Bailey's, one of the AS sponsors. I think the Dent book is only like $15. Well worth it and everyone speaks highly of it. :cool:

Only time and working with an experienced faller will teach you how to cut.

Those books are a liability waiting to happen!!!!:;

:rolleyes:

Yeah, information in books is a waste of time.

Sure working with a good mentor is helpful. But however you attain the knowledge, practice is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Only time and working with an experienced faller will teach you how to cut.

Those books are a liability waiting to happen!!!!:;

IDK, I'm sure that a pro could teach you alot faster, but I fell a few trees this weekend. Sure I made a few mistakes but those 18" to 40" DBH Spruce were the first I fell besides 12" Alder.

So I did all of that work from reading articles and how-to's then just practicing what I read.

I'll be falling trees for the next week. All of those trees in the last pic have to go as well as a bunch more.

oh by the way, your face cuts are backwards. cut straight in then angle up from the bottom that way when you do your backcut the butt wont slide back towards you.

You can do a saginaw or a humbolt undercut, tree will still go down. You can read the books but if you have a friend or family member in the logging industry with experience in tree falling that would be your best bet.

Or you could just have me :redneck: come and give you a hand, depending on where your at. Pay me cutters wages and I'll get the trees all down in a day.

You'll just have a heck of a mess to clean up.

You can do a saginaw or a humbolt undercut, tree will still go down. You can read the books but if you have a friend or family member in the logging industry with experience in tree falling that would be your best bet.

Or you could just have me :redneck: come and give you a hand, depending on where your at. Pay me cutters wages and I'll get the trees all down in a day.

We could both come up and cut them and have a lil accuracy competition... :redneck:

Those are fun!!!!:beer:

Guys at work try to get me to do that, they were mad when I missed a stick. Went 6" on other side of it which didn't bother me seeing a drainfield and septic was on the other side and I gave her a little more of a nudge the other way with because of the lean.

Yeah I have no idea what a saginaw cut is. I'm pretty sure what a humbolt undercut is though. My cousin that was suppose to help went fishing instead, but I've been having fun anyways. I'd pay someone, but I have a couple of volunteers that are suppose to be out here in another day or two one logger one not. Here being about an hour and a half west of you.

Hey, it ain't rocket science. It's cutting trees down. JBuck, you're doing fine buddy :awesomework:

Humbolts are great for huge timber since the 300 lbs of wood you cut out of the face can slide out, and makes a very nice butt on the log for sawmills. Your traditional face is just fine for your purposes on these trees. Horizontal back cut being a few inches higher than the horizontal of the face should be all you need to keep the tree from setting back over the stump. :cool:

No it ain't rocket science, just be careful and keep and eye on things. Like Nuzzy said about the smaller ones put a back cut in and wedge it up a little first. Then put in your undercut. I did a job right next to my house and a supposed "timber cutter" didn't even know how to do that. Some people that even profess to know how don't.

As for making the back cut higher than your undercut, I would make it lower instead of higher. Not just personal but professional preference from working with my dad, 35yr cutter.

Biggest thing is just stay safe JBuck and keep an eye up, death comes from above. Broken limbs as much as tree's.