• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Broke in new Chainsaw finally

The only trouble with a lower back cut is harder wedging should you need to really bury the wedges.

A matched face and back is my personal preference.

A higher back cut gives you a little more safety margin on the stump.

I can honestly say that is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest a lower back cut... Every feller/arborist I've talked with/learned from and every book I've read says a lower back cut is an absolute no-no. Near on par with a sloped back cut "farmer style"...

But hey, if it's worked for ya this long, by all means run it.

And just because I like to be a **** :haha::redneck:

Douglas Dent's take

DSC07394Large.jpg

G.F. Beranek's take

DSC07396Large.jpg

Both old school loggers in big timber. :cool:

Didn't get very far today pinched and twisted the sproket of my bar so got to quit early.

Here is a pic of to see if you can spot my f-up. Probably alot, but one big one.
Then one of my helper and a couple of smaller saws.

Attachments

• Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01196.jpg
    DSC01196.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 127
Yeah, I've logged over by Neah bay, the 100, 200, 300, Sekiu mainline.

I liked a matched cut the best as DHR said, but to keep things from twisting to much, or putting on a drive (kid's do not try this at home) works good. I like to see tree's go down like domino's. :redneck:

As for the book guy's, how many of them have cut wood scale before??? :eeek:
As for the arborists there just out in left field by themselves and would rather charge you a lot more money to take out something in firewood size chunks that either could be fell or taken in about 3 or 4 pieces.

I know, I work for one :mad:.

Last edited:
And just because I like to be a **** :haha::redneck:

Douglas Dent's take

DSC07394Large.jpg

G.F. Beranek's take

DSC07396Large.jpg

Both old school loggers in big timber. :cool:

Level back cut always? What's your book say about walking a leaning tree around the stump :corn:

Level back cut always? What's your book say about walking a leaning tree around the stump :corn:

Not sure if you're referring to cutting/placing a dutchman to swing a tree (which still requires a level backcut), or if you're talking about a horizontally slanted backcut to slide the butt off to the side perpendicular to the felling direction in order to miss a stump and still keep within the lay to avoid unnecessary breakage...

But either way they are more advanced felling techniques rarely needed by the firewood cutter and occur in prolly less than .1% of situations. :masturbanana[1]:

Not sure if you're referring to cutting/placing a dutchman to swing a tree (which still requires a level backcut), or if you're talking about a horizontally slanted backcut to slide the butt off to the side perpendicular to the felling direction in order to miss a stump and still keep within the lay to avoid unnecessary breakage...

But either way they are more advanced felling techniques rarely needed by the firewood cutter and occur in prolly less than .1% of situations. :masturbanana[1]:

:haha: Sorry I don't understand that lingo, I am referring to a tree leaning one direction, rounding the face cut, and slightly slanting the back cut, leaving more "meat" on the side you want to spin, and walking the tree around 90 degrees or so, to drop it where you want.

I grew up logging, but never realized there were books on it. :D

I'm with you for one thing Jaydog, I grew up logging also, but never read any books on how to do it:bananadance:.

I swung some little stuff today. Had one of my bosses tell me I was gonna hit a fence. I told him no :rolleyes: then I fell it right down the middle of the road. :cool:

It is fun :D!!!

I'm with you for one thing Jaydog, I grew up logging also, but never read any books on how to do it:bananadance:.

I swung some little stuff today. Had one of my bosses tell me I was gonna hit a fence. I told him no :rolleyes: then I fell it right down the middle of the road. :cool:

It is fun :D!!!

Exactly!!!

I have swung more trees than carter has taken pills and I ALWAYS put my swinging backcut LOWER than my face so it sits down and SWINGS!!!

But what do I know, I just have made my living *and stayed alive doing it* FOR THE LAST 16 YEARS....LOL

:haha: Sorry I don't understand that lingo, I am referring to a tree leaning one direction, rounding the face cut, and slightly slanting the back cut, leaving more "meat" on the side you want to spin, and walking the tree around 90 degrees or so, to drop it where you want.

I grew up logging, but never realized there were books on it. :D

Sounds like you're just referring to leaving more hinge wood on one side to combat a side lean. The thiner side hinge breaks first and the thicker pulls the tree for a bit towards that side before breaking. The back cut is still horizontal in relation to the ground which is the important part. But yeah, you can play with hinge alterations all day long to deal with different leans :cool:

sideleanMedium.jpg

There are books on everything!! :haha::haha:

I still agree that practice is the only true way! Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there that can get people killed. Hell, I have a farmer buddy here who makes one cut on a slant, backside to front and just keeps on doing it because it's all he's ever known :redneck: People cut through their hinges, overshoot their face cuts, slope their backcuts, have no idea how to deal with or check for rot... all sorts of crazy ****. Sadly, we hear all too often about homeowners killing themselves from the bad habits they've learned. :booo:

I have swung more trees than carter has taken pills and I ALWAYS put my swinging backcut LOWER than my face so it sits down and SWINGS!!!

Are you talking about swinging the tree backwards? Doesn't the ledge you've created between the back cut and the face interfere with the tree pivoting in the front 180

I don't know... a cocky drag racing logger...? :fawkdancesmiley:

VERY MUCH SO!!!!.....lol

I don't want to defy physics but I am right there at the stump as I have swung many trees so far that I have to cut them off in mid swing so I don't OVERshoot my lay....lol

There has been many times that the tree "only" needed a 180*-210* swing but I could have swung it 270*-360* around just because....lol:redneck:

VERY MUCH SO!!!!.....lol

Perfect!! I'd sit and drink many beers with you if I wasn't in another state :beer::beer::redneck:

I don't want to defy physics but I am right there at the stump as I have swung many trees so far that I have to cut them off in mid swing so I don't OVERshoot my lay....lol

There has been many times that the tree "only" needed a 180*-210* swing but I could have swung it 270*-360* around just because....lol:redneck:

YOUTUBE!! :redneck::redneck::redneck:

Well I suppose if you're swinging a tree that far, all bets are off :haha:

I'm prolly gonna end up hating myself for asking but...

...if you have to swing a tree 200

Here is a pic of to see if you can spot my f-up. Probably alot, but one big one.

Really hard to see with the dark pic... But did you cut through your hinge on the stump lowest in the pic and the tree rolled sideways off the stump as it fell grabbing your tip?

I can't really tell which tree goes with which stump...

Perfect!! I'd sit and drink many beers with you if I wasn't in another state :beer::beer::redneck:

YOUTUBE!! :redneck::redneck::redneck:

Well I suppose if you're swinging a tree that far, all bets are off :haha:

I'm prolly gonna end up hating myself for asking but...

...if you have to swing a tree 200

Yes yes, thinning can bring the SUCK!

Or the tree to the head, whatever comes first.
Oh how I did love it to find a tree lengther in the pile and have fun. We did some thinning with .5 to 1 acre clearcuts in them. That wasn't to bad. Nice tall fir too, 3-40's and a shorty. I hated it when I would find a nice rub tree on a road and had to fall it on the way up :redneck: it just wasn't fair,

to the TREE.:rockon: