• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brushes

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
Where are you guys who fix up your grinders and such geting your brushes? I have a dewalt 4" grinder that has finally eaten the brush's and need to get it fixed up..

today for one day only they have disposable grinders at Harbor freight for 9.95.

i ususlly get like four of em so i never have to change wheels i keep one with cutoff wheel, one with a flapwheel. and one with a grionder and the other has a wire wheel.

mike i never fix mine i just get new ones and have a drawer full of various brushes you could browse thru...

I tried those Harbor Frieght one once, I had it smoking in short order, it was almost so hot you couldn't touch it, you had to wear gloves.:mad:

Hip said:
today for one day only they have disposable grinders at Harbor freight for 9.95.

i ususlly get like four of em so i never have to change wheels i keep one with cutoff wheel, one with a flapwheel. and one with a grionder and the other has a wire wheel.

mike i never fix mine i just get new ones and have a drawer full of various brushes you could browse thru...

tHANKS HIPPY. I tried using cheap tools back in the day and prefer to only use good stuff---and they have paid me back well by long lasting/holding up very well to abuse. I was going to grab the grinder before I left for work this am and see if they had anything at home depot...

I have a HF cheapy that does cut-off duty. It sucks, yes, it sounds like it's going to chew up its bearings and/or gears at any moment and spit them at me, or just go that last bit out of balance and fly to pieces, and always has :haha: but I've abused it a fair bit and it keeps hanging in there :D

Those things are great when you're just trying to expand your tool inventory quickly, but I'm definately with crashy poo here. Get the good stuff and never look back. I MUCH prefer my two Makita 4-inchers and am half ass in the market for a third :D

CrustyJeep said:
I have a HF cheapy that does cut-off duty. It sucks, yes, it sounds like it's going to chew up its bearings and/or gears at any moment and spit them at me, or just go that last bit out of balance and fly to pieces, and always has :haha: but I've abused it a fair bit and it keeps hanging in there :D

Those things are great when you're just trying to expand your tool inventory quickly, but I'm definately with crashy poo here. Get the good stuff and never look back. I MUCH prefer my two Makita 4-inchers and am half ass in the market for a third :D

well i userd to be also and still am with anything EXCEPT 4 1/2" grinders. i have tried all brands and they all last about 9 mo to one year irreguardless of the quality so i have reverted back to disposable.

i have been thru mikita, dewalt, craftsman and a couple of others. sure they feel better in your hand and maybe a few DB quieter but dont last any longer.

i also just passed central welding and they have some new QUALITY grinder that if you trade in your old one and give them 15 dollars you get a 90 dollar grinder...

cant remember the brand and i just read it about 15 minutes ago.

Hip said:
i also just passed central welding and they have some new QUALITY grinder that if you trade in your old one and give them 15 dollars you get a 90 dollar grinder...

cant remember the brand and i just read it about 15 minutes ago.
Really!!! Sounds like a Matabo. Wonder if they'll take my HF POS :D

BAH! I just called them.

That deal ended two weeks ago, and they would give you a $15 *discount* on a new grinder.

Last edited:
CrustyJeep said:
Really!!! Sounds like a Matabo. Wonder if they'll take my HF POS :D

BAH! I just called them.

That deal ended two weeks ago, and they would give you a $15 *discount* on a new grinder.

hey the everett store still has the sign out front on thier markee and yes it was matabo brand. ohh well back to the 9 dollar disposable.

I'm sold on the Milwaukee grinders. My 4 1/2" is at least 6+ years old and is still going like a champ. I've used it for work and for fab jobs at home with no problems. You really can't go wrong with any of the Milwaukee stuff. My portaband and holeshooter drills have never given me trouble either.

As for brushes, most any motor shop should be able to hook you up. There's also a Dewalt service center in south Seattle that should have them.

WhizBangChris said:
I'm sold on the Milwaukee grinders. My 4 1/2" is at least 6+ years old and is still going like a champ. I've used it for work and for fab jobs at home with no problems. You really can't go wrong with any of the Milwaukee stuff. My portaband and holeshooter drills have never given me trouble either.

As for brushes, most any motor shop should be able to hook you up. There's also a Dewalt service center in south Seattle that should have them.

my milwakee grinder lasted six months and i paid like 90 bucks for it. i was hoping it would be like my 1/2 milwakee drill . that thing is old and will rip yer arm off...

maybe if my fab skills were better i wouldnt have to grind so much.:wtf:

The Ace hardware store down the road has an assortment of brushes in the goody bins where the bolts and cotter pins and stuff is.

i second that milwaukee grinders kick butt. i have a 4" and a 4.5" makita and they both rock. also a 7" milwaukee and that thing is ridiculous. i vote ace for brushes.

Dewalt hold's a distant 2nd to metabo, In our shop I alone spend at minimum 1 hour with the grinder turned on grinding metal per day 5 to 7 day's a week and the metabo has outlasted about 5 or 10 dewalt's and it is the hardest and most used grinder in the shop and it still sound's and feel's brand new. I'm sure the dewalt will be fine once repaired, but if you want the end all be all grinder the metabo is the only way to fly.

For the record---gm alternator brushes fit nicely with a tad bit of filing :D The grinder is now ready to go the distance again with a wire wheel atached to it :;

Jim said:
The Ace hardware store down the road has an assortment of brushes in the goody bins where the bolts and cotter pins and stuff is.
That's where I got brushes for my 14 year old makita. Had to "adjust" them slightly with a sheet of sandpaper to get them to fit. Cost a whole $2.

That is awsome to know that GM will work for the dewalt.

Ok, so, from working in the tile/pool/plaster industry, we tend to abuse the living crap out of angle grinders.

I've burned up 2 milwaukee, 2 of the Makita's and 4 dewalts. Mind you, the dewalts have out lasted any other brand used. I just happen to use the dewalts more now. Milwaukee lasted a month, makita ran GREAT for the month or so, before the bearings exploded. The dewalts lasted 6 or so months before one's hand switch melted, one's gears froze, ones chord shorted, and the other...well..we don't know yet.

I still run dewalt because they last "longer" than the others.

And Crash, Fastenal does waranty work for dewalt, and I would imagine they can get parts for you. :)

i had a dewalt for a month, then loaned it to my friend (who happens to be on this board...lurking like he's underwater :D ) to work on his rig and he left it at someone else's house on this board (who license plate is something about "you peeing in the air" :D)

anywho, somehow the drive and spur gears got chewed to smithereens by someone. i am pretty sure it had a cut off wheel on it that chipped and caught at full speed more than a few times. no biggie as he offered to replace or repair it (untill he found out how much that cost :D)

i am now using a B&D "pro" model that feels, sounds, and looks just like the dewalt, probably cost $20.00 less.

Last edited: