• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

buggy skids with uhmw

3/4" UHMW backed by 1/8" 6061
- definitely chamfer the edges
-1/8" steel works if you're on a budget and not concerned with weight (at least its down low) but isn't necessary for strength, dimpling the aluminum definitely doesn't hurt. Its just there to provide rigidity to the UMHW
-1/2" UHMW works too but the 3/4 gives you a little more meat to countersink your hardware, and if you are super abusive on it and will hold up through a few more wheeling seasons. A lot of that would depend on where you wheel most, if your local park is filled with jagged dryer rock (choccolocco is the best example I can come up with in the SE) I'd go 3/4, if you wheel big slick rock (gray rock) you're probably fine with the 1/2".

Re: Re: Re: buggy skids with uhmw

crawlin85cj said:
Mine is 1/2" backed by 3/16" AR plate. I wheel Clayton mostly in this buggy and it has held up well to a beating.

This is what I'm planning for my buggy, good to know it's holding up.

The bentfab skid on my chassis is 3/16" and I was planning to put a "sacrificial" plate of uhmw or aluminum under it.

Re: Re: buggy skids with uhmw

I'm going with 1/2" on my rig and it will be backed. Beveled the edges so it doesn't catch anything.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5/8" uhmw backed by 1/8" carbon steel with lips and ribs welded on. Next time it is off, in going to dimple die the hell out of it! A good buddy of mine has 3/4" backed by a 1/2" square grid and it holds up great. I'm not sure on the weight difference.

Run 2 or 3 peices of 2 inch od quarter wall dom across the bottom close enough together to keep the rocks out then you can run sheetmetal. :****:

patooyee said:
Mine is 1/2" with 1/8 dimpled steel behind it. So far so good.

I take this back. I looked under the buggy today and its beat to ****. I'll definitely be doing something different in the future.