• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Built D300 vs Atlas

mark

Someone refresh my [failing] memory on what really makes and Atlas worth the extra $$ over a "Build" D300. I've got it in my mind that the Atlas is "better", since all the cool kids run or want to run them, but I can't remember how much of that is Internet propaganda vs real fact.

I've been piecing together all the parts for a D300 that would have similar specs to an Atlas (32-splines, 4:1's etc), but in some of the latest number crunching of what I have left... I'm over 1/2 way to a used Atlas (which there seems to be more of), so now I'm reconsidering the D300 and steping up to the "bling". But is it just to have all the cool part vs practical?

The answer should be obvious, but much like Crashypoo just said in another thread, getting old sucks and I can't remember all the pro's and cons.

Im not sure of the specifics but a buddy of mine had three D300 hoarded up.

He needed gears, input, outputs etc. to adapt to a nv4500.

After pricing all the D300 crap tp make it work, he sold all three d300s for $300 each. Combine the $900 with the needed parts to make it work and he was the same price as an atlas at the homie hookup.

Now he has a blinging tcase and doesnt have to tear apart the old cases to install the new parts and discover that there is more parts needed once ya open it up and find any surprises.

By the time you have 4:1's, 32 spline outputs and whatnot you will be halfway to an atlas and then the case itself will be the weak link. Another $600+ later you'll have an aftermarket aluminum case amd be damned near the same money and still have narrower gears and smaller bearings.

Atlas has bigger gears and a stronger case than a dana 300. It also has syncros on the gears.

The newest Dana 300 is 25 years old, the Atlas is newer.

Atlas has bigger gears and a stronger case than a dana 300. It also has syncros on the gears.

The newest Dana 300 is 25 years old, the Atlas is newer.

I thought it had syncros but couldn't remember. That could be nice. So basicaly, all around it IS the better case, if you have the room....

atlas is wider, lots of cases you can run a one piece driveshaft

Any idea how much wider? I see your 5:1 in the classifieds, good deal but I'm thinking more of 3.8 or 4:1... but you never know.

so how does an atlas compare strengthwise to a dana300? or to a NP205?

It's really uncommon to hear of Atlas failures, due to strength.
My first Tcase was a D20, then a D20 with Bronco gears, followed by another D20 with Bronco gears. When those were all broke, I went to a D300, and never broke it. But when I wanted to build another rig, I went with a Atlas, bigger case, stronger gears, better gear selection, wider case cleared the T400 pan easier, and virtually the same money as buying a D300, regearing it, upgrading the outputs, going twin stick, etc. Now I have two jeeps, both with Atlas.

Any idea how much wider? I see your 5:1 in the classifieds, good deal but I'm thinking more of 3.8 or 4:1... but you never know.[/QUOTE]

I think its 1.5 or 2" wider center of input to center of front output. The atlas is right around 9.5 or 9.75. I ran 5.38s in my yj with the 5:1 and I loved it. Plenty of wheel speed for my 40s.

All the bling boys want an atlas, I would give your 300s to me and upgrade.....:cheer:

Just saying....:awesomework:

I love my atlas 4.3 and 2.72 rubicrawler, it was worth the extra money just to eliminate the risk of breaking... and it works well with my existing skids w/o fab work

i fully fully fully built my 300. Came in 100$ less then a 4.3/1 atlas. In the end I should have just manned up and bought the atlas. I guess I will always be 100$ cheaper as long as I don't crack this 300 case, like the previous one.

I am in the process of putting a np435/d300 combo in my TJ. I wanted front digs and a stronger setup (gears vs chains, stronger case, etc). The nice thing about a 300 is you can upgrade as you go, instead of dropping 2k on a Atlas all at once. For some people that's not a problem. After looking at the 4:1, Stak replace a case, and outputs, I'll probably sell this setup and go to an auto/atlas once I'm ready but I like the ability to upgrade the 300 if I change my mind.

4+ years in the current buggy and have only cracked one case and broken one rear output with bone stock 300's.......I'm pretty carefull though.

Mark....your gonna need an Atlas for sure

I have ran a ultiimate 300 in a V-8 buggy that has since Been sold but still going strong, as well as a stock 300 in my current buggy and have never had a problem. If you can build the T-case yourself you will be 800- 1000 cheaper than a new Atlas. Now the Atlas is the stronger of the 2, but in most applications the 300 is pretty adequite. Bottom line if you have the cash Buck up for the Atlas, if not slowly build the 300.

you got the cash flow go with the atlas. There's a reason all the coo-kidz have them:cool: Theyre the ****! But when it comes to money and budget rigs the d300 to me will always be the "poormans atlas" :redneck::haha:.

It provides a solid running base to get you on the trail and the options to upgrade as you see fit and theres EVERY upgrade available in the book! 32spline outputs, 4:1's, flip kits, clocking setups, End yoke options, doubler friendly, xfercase/parking brake, cable shifter setups, Twin stick capability and you can even replace the entire case with a new one from Stak. It all came down to counting the coin in my pocket and the dana 300 works for me. Specially since through all my wheelin and dealin it became free to begin with:flipoff:....

There are a few of these threads running around on here. I have never wheeled with you Mark but I have wheeled with some guys that are in the deep end of the pool. 2 guys come to mind that I know for sure run/ran stock 300s and have non to minimal issues. I know tons of guys with the atlas and some have had big issues. There are lots of factors when it comes to selecting parts for our rigs. I had a 300 at the beginning of my build and was talked out of using it due to the cost of building a 25 year old jeep tcase. I now own an Atlas and am very happy with it but in no way to I take it to its limit. It was explained to me this way. If you can get away with running the 300 in stock from and putting more of your drive load on the larger gears (R&P) then you can make everything sing together. But remember 6.17 or 7.17 R&P are kinda weak also in the way they have a very small contact patch. I have heard from builders that 4.1 in a 300 can cause excess torque on the case and could result in way quicker damage. Running the 300 in stock form will also save you lots of money and this is where the difference lies. I would say if new R&Ps are not in your future and not modding the 300 is not likely then go with the Atlas.