• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Built vs Bought

FYI, paying someone to build a rig = bought, and anyone that says you can't build one cheaper than you can buy one either buys kits and tabs to assemble, and doesn't use second hand parts. I'll have just over 11k in mine when its done. It has rebuilt Chevy drivetrain and rockwells running on propane. Granted its nowhere near as nice as most of the buggies on here, but theres no way I could've paid to have it built for that price.

Did neither ... Traded some grading mostly for mine. Have since broke
rebuilt and or modified it with lots of help from two good friends. Btw THX

I think anyone in this sport that has been around knows that it's cheaper to buy than to build unless you put NO value in your own time. So if you buy someone else's 90% completed project and you finish the other 10% did you buy it or build it? Only thing that really matters is that your in the woods having fun.

It is cool to see everybody agrees that as long as we are in the woods beating on our rigs, it doesn't matter how you got it! Unless you are a douche and claim a bunch of stuff that ain't true!

This topic is a huge reason why I like this forum so much, and why I rarely ever get on that other "place" anymore. I've had several rigs over the years from stock samis to the "built" toyota I have now and have slowly worked my way up to having a capable crawler. I'm by no means a fabricator, nor do I own the benders, notchers, welders, etc it takes to build a badass rig, but I do wrench on all my own ****. I buy "built" stuff because I work 6+ days, 50+ hours a week to afford the hobby that I love, and when I get a day or a weekend off, I'd rather spend it in wheeling than building something. I compare buying a turnkey rig to all the people out there who buy new boats, Harleys, or whatever they're into. When the weather's nice, they're out enjoying what they're hard earned money allows them to enjoy. That's what it's all about to me. :drinkers:

Gittinit said:
Just from personal experience it seems those who didn't play a part in the build of some sort also can't fix their rig when its broke. Everyone should know how to replace their weak links.

If your gonna own one built or bought atleast be able to fix it yourself . to those of u who can... :drinkers: cheers.
This is what I meant in my second paragraph. I meant no offense moneypit. I don't refuse to help EVER but I have wheeled with a driver who bought a rig but is clueless as to how it works. So he carries a pit crew on every run. Just sayin, it aint that fun to be the pit crew. Lol

snoball said:
It's also funny how the built not bought clown is usually driving a stock Cherokee with a couple of home made bumpers on it. Like Jeep didn't build their ****.

The built not bought clown Im speaking of drives a 94ish Z71 with a body lift and two nasty whip antennas with tennis balls all the way to the top.

LightBnDr said:
This is what I meant in my second paragraph. I meant no offense moneypit. I don't refuse to help EVER but I have wheeled with a driver who bought a rig but is clueless as to how it works. So he carries a pit crew on every run. Just sayin, it aint that fun to be the pit crew. Lol

Nothing offends me, ever. I know how stuff works, and can do enough to get me where I'm going, I'm just not real good at solving problems when it comes to fixing stuff. I can visualize and design anything, just cant build it. We all have different strong suits, I'm a beast in the kitchen. So I will cook steaks and hand my buddies wrenches while they eat bbq and help me fix my stuff.

In terms of enjoying the hobby, wheeling in the woods, is wheeling in the woods and is a fun time regardless.

But...to build a buggy or highly aggressive trail rig with your own 2 hands takes determination, patience, and forces you into gaining some skill/knowledge. It is naturally going to make you have a certain amount of respect for others that had to go through everything you had to deal with. It is always a bonus to thrash on a machine you created too.

I've got a couple builds under my belt and would love to do another one because you are constantly learning and seeing things you would do different, but it just takes so much time and I want to do some damn wheeling.

With that said, if I had 40k to give Jimmy Smith, I might go that route. laughing1

sledneck said:
I think anyone in this sport that has been around knows that it's cheaper to buy than to build unless you put NO value in your own time. So if you buy someone else's 90% completed project and you finish the other 10% did you buy it or build it? Only thing that really matters is that your in the woods having fun.
thats exactly why its cheaper to build. If a guy has a mortgage, truck payment,I.insurance,electric, water,food bills,child support, and so on, all he has is time. So if that guy wants to wheel something he cuts every tab and bends every tube with his own hands. This usually happens late at night after his family is in bed or early as **** in the mornings before work. If you're building something for yourself the time spent on it has no monetary value because that time is going to pass wether you build something or not.

Re:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about what your friends have to say, its not their money nor their time.

LightBnDr said:
So he carries a pit crew on every run. Just sayin, it aint that fun to be the pit crew. Lol

And by pit crew, you mean :tc :tc :tc ?

I built my Ranger, wheeled, broke, repeated. Then I traded for another one that I had zero work of mine on it. It does feel wierd. Like I'm a POG or something. I'm gonna have to cut the ass off and tube it or something...
:****:

I was joking when I stated that I paid to have mine built and did that matter. :wtflol:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't have the tools OR skill to build my own buggy. I love to ride and had the means to have one built so that's what I did, otherwise I wouldn't be in the woods doing what I enjoy. I could give a **** less if the people I ride with built or bought. If they did build it....good for them!! Wish I had the knowledge and skill to do it. And yes I can do certain repairs on my buggy when it breaks, other times not. Don't claim to be a fabricator or mechanic, that's not where my skill set lies. Like I said..."Let's Ride!" :driving:

Built my Sami , bought my juggy, sad thing is I have the same amount of money in the Sami as I do the juggy
a0ce7555ee315215f25dc2fb689c8016.jpg
d7dff63ab255f9cd8cf16eb434b9f3d8.jpg

I would recommend buying!

Joe Eck

Re: Re: Re: Built vs Bought

LandSpeeder said:
Built this buggy:

Bought this buggy:

All depends on whatchu wanna do...
I LOL!!!!
now having said I bought my buggy, let me also say, I pulled the trans out and went through it, pulled axles out and had them flat bottomed, changed the tires and wheels, realized I didn't like the stall in the converter, pulled trans out swapped stalls, regeared the axles and replaced the driveshafts at this time, then redone the radiator mounting setup, and remounted seats, busted a fuel cell and replaced it............only thing I don't do is my own welding/fab work so I am fairly familiar with my ole rag. I hate to hold up my group if something happens, to a point that it really upsets me. That being said I wheel with a great group of guys that always jumps in and gets a rig mobile again ASAP!! and hey if I have to get a little crazy now and again to have a few loyal nutswingers when i break it then "HAMMER DOWN!!!!!!!"

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

I built mine over the course of a couple of years cause I'm a broke :afro: I just upgrade when I have the funds to do so. Didn't have any building skills when I started it but had to learn because I don't have the cash to pay someone else to do it

Building ours, what a pain in the ass, but we're going to wheel the crap out of it, my fab skills suck but i'm learning....L