• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Built vs Bought

I'm way better at working to make money than I am at building buggies. I really enjoy having them built by talented people at great shops where I am very involved in the design, parts list, packaging and details. My time is better spent working, doing what I'm good at.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Re: Re: Re: Built vs Bought

XJ savage said:

My latest, I built. This is the fifth I've built in the last ten years. Dirt driveway, rain, heat, sweat, mosquitos, and gunfights with rogue coons. For me it was not so much the end result that motivated me as it was the learning experience. I started with a welder, drill, angle grinder and a box full of hand tools and during the build I ended up purchasing a jd2 manual tube bender and teaching myself how to use it. Did the drivetrain swap (6.0/4l80/205/60/14 bolt) with a borrowed cherry picker laughing1 It may not be the sexiest rig out there and I probably spent longer on it than I should have, but hell, I'm picky. I didn't want a trail rig so I build something based off a Jeep TJ equipped with v8, tons and can comfortably cruise 80 down the interstate to any trail I care to run :dblthumb:
That's nice do you have a link to the build?

crawlin85cj said:
I'm way better at working to make money than I am at building buggies. I really enjoy having them built by talented people at great shops where I am very involved in the design, parts list, packaging and details. My time is better spent working, doing what I'm good at.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Exactly I'll do repairs and such but I would spend more money and time ****n it up trying to build myself than the $$ to pay someone to do it right the first time with a so much happier end result

I just like building stuff. Even if I could afford to buy any buggy I wanted I'd use that money to buy better equipment and build something with it. Never crossed my mind until now, but I've built more stuff than I've wheeled or riden :****:

Re: Re: Built vs Bought

e064e4d71b0b4d348cd3e95e20228a7e.jpg

With the help of a couple buddies I built this. I was able to build the 4 seater I always wanted but I probably wouldn't do it again.

AdamF said:
I just like building stuff. Even if I could afford to buy any buggy I wanted I'd use that money to buy better equipment and build something with it. Never crossed my mind until now, but I've built more stuff than I've wheeled or riden :****:

You are money ahead to buy something someone has gotten tired of. Bought or Built, one doesn't out weigh the other. Anyone trying to really argue one over the other is crazy.

I like buying some what built, then make them my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk