• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bumper building

tlcruiser66

So i'm going to be starting my rear bumper this weekend, going to be making it out of 2x6 box tube but not really sure where to get the best price on steel around here.

What thickness do you guys recommend and where do you get your steel at and what prices should I be looking to get for a 10-12 foot stick?

1/8 should be plenty thick, with that being said most of the bumpers i have built for buddies have been made out of 2x4/2x6 have been 1/4,

as far as a price, ball park for 1/8 i think would be in the $2-6 per foot range

That's pretty cheap, where should I look around the SKC area for decent prices? I've only shopped at Specialty Metals and they're ****ing pricey so i'm hoping to find someone else.

You think 1/8th wall would be strong enough for the trails around here, I'm a fan of building for what you need not what you can afford.

That's pretty cheap, where should I look around the SKC area for decent prices? I've only shopped at Specialty Metals and they're ****ing pricey so i'm hoping to find someone else.

You think 1/8th wall would be strong enough for the trails around here, I'm a fan of building for what you need not what you can afford.

Go for 1/4" then, I know Everett steel has halfway decent prices but there a bit away from ya.

well that depends on how hard you are on your rig, 1/8 may dent some but it should hold up to some abuse, i have never ran a rectangular or sqaure bumper so i can't say for sure, but i no my 1/8 DOM round tubing can handle the abuse:awesomework:

nothin wrong with 1/4 wall :cool:

I'll give Everett steel a call thanks.

Sounds like .250 is going to probably be what i'm after, don't really want to tear it up when I head out for the first time. I haven't been out wheeling in this rig yet, haven't been out in any rig in a few years, but i'll probably be beating it pretty well to see where the weak spots will be.

3/16 wall rectangle tube will give you the strength you want for around here, and save some weight over 1/4 wall...

Yeah you can try Earl M Jorgenson (EMJ) they are in Kent I believe they are near 212th, i used to pick up alot of metal there when i used to work for this Machine shop.

You can also go to Metal supermarkets they are in Kent pretty close to same area as EMJ, last i remember they were pretty good priced compared to other places.

Get a hold of Anthony, (ChevyXJ - here on NWW) I've yet to find anyone who has lower prices then him. He's out between Maple Valley and Covington.

Ended up buying at Interwest, cheapest by a mile. It's crazy how much some of them were wanting for 3/16th 2x6 and 2x4, EMJ wanted over 200 for the metal I asked for, Specialty wanted 300 and Interwest only took 93 bucks for it all :D

Next time I need some more steel i'll try ChevyXJ and Metal Supermarkets, probably shouldn't be too long before i'm in the market again.

Now it's off to start building, been awhile since i've been out there and i'm looking forward to starting another project.

Thanks guys for all your help, i'll post up pictures of the bumper as i'm going.