• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bumper whys and why nots

SJR

buildin bumpers for my XJ , been lookin at a bunch and had a few questions,

Whats a stinger for? seen small ones, big ones, whats the reason for one?

most bumpers dont protect the corner lights, and offroading at walker anyway that seams to be the spot that needs some protection,

Recovery Points, why would you need 2 on the front and rear ? wouldnt 1 on each end do it?

also intereested in your bumpers, post up a pic, I will when mines done, thanks guys

Stinger on a Walker Valley runner is a little much. Corner protection would be nice on a cherocar....kinda boxy. As stated, recovery points are put where it would be the strongest...near frame..errr... unibody rails. I can post up mine in the morning if you would like.

Stingers are mainly used to make a rig look tuffer while driving to the mall!!:haha:

Stingers are mainly used to make a rig look tuffer while driving to the mall!!:haha:

They give you a place to put even more way sick lights so you can see them curbs at night too! :awesomework:

The one that was on the sami I had would have been useful as an a-frame for picking **** up with the winch and moving it since it stuck out a full hood length from the rest of the bumper.

stingers are great for turning when you cant back up...

That was the orginal use for a stinger! Rock Crawlers started putting them on.
So they could drive up to a huge rock and use the stinger to lift the front of the crawler until the tires were on the rock!!!

Now they are on every mall crawler around!!!:swing:

That was the orginal use for a stinger! Rock Crawlers started putting them on.
So they could drive up to a huge rock and use the stinger to lift the front of the crawler until the tires were on the rock!!!

Now they are on every mall crawler around!!!

ok is that where it all started?, I can understand how that works

I dont know if that is where it started but I wheel on trails built by samurias in a toyota and they are tight sometime you can back up and the trees stop you from going forward a little gas and it will spin the front around.

I can see it working on rocks too if you dont have the approach angle.

Started in moab, to keep rigs from going ass over tea kettle when dropping off stuff.
Not really a fan of them around here as the rocks are jagged and they just catch.
They do make a great handle to hold onto though.

I use mine for busting out windows in minivans, sheople hearding. While I'm mall crawling mine around :redneck: I gots lots of dents to prove it :beer:

I don't have a stinger on mine but wish I did at times... they give you a nice place to wrap up winch line without having to spool other back into the winch.

When I barrel rolled my YJ, it crushed the hood, fenders and grill. Since the radiator is mounted to the grill, the 'flex' during the roll, caused the fan to carve up the radiator.

When I rebuilt my TJ cage, I added a front bumper mounted hoop, which roughly follows the grills' outline, to protect the hood and grill from flexing/denting, which could cause radiator damage.

I intend to add this to my YJ also, but haven't yet.