• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cage questions.....

SUPAFLY

A friend of mine is using this design as a template for his TJ. I have a few question:

1. HREW will be just fine?
2. About how many feet of tubing will be needed?
3. Any idea of cost and where to buy material?

Thanks!:beer:

cage.jpg

1) If your friend has the skills to build a cage based on that picture he should be able to answer your questions.
2) In my opinion (which isn't worth all that much) that is a poor cage design. Looks to me like there is no lateral triangulation at all and all of the bends are front to rear relying on the welds soly to keep the cage from folding sideways.:eeek:

Its our first custom cage and we're getting help from someone who has a bender. I'm just trying to work out the details before next weekend. As for the actual design, I'll let him know about having more triangulation. :awesomework:

the weld should be stronger than the metal,although he is right on everything else.
you could get the same desighn and better placement of tube with a little reconfigureation

If you even drive 1 mile in a rig with a HREW cage it will kill you. garrunteeeed.:awesomework:

Make it out of 0420 blingtanium at the least.:cool:

Mild steel is fine.
DOM is better .
Moly for the strongest and lightest.:awesomework:

Not exactly... If I remember right cromoly is actually heavier that mild steel of the same thickness. The only reason it's used is for its higher strength than mild so you can get away with say using .090 wall CroMo rather than .120 DOM or HREW. :D

1. Metal will be fine.

2. For a jungle gym like that.....like eleventy-nine.

3. Lowes / 2.49 per foot.....(I wouldn't go any more $$$)

Its our first custom cage and we're getting help from someone who has a bender. I'm just trying to work out the details before next weekend. As for the actual design, I'll let him know about having more triangulation. :awesomework:

If you still need some tube let me know. GOt both 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" in stock. Best price gaurenteed. Give me a call if intersted.

1) If your friend has the skills to build a cage based on that picture he should be able to answer your questions.
2) In my opinion (which isn't worth all that much) that is a poor cage design. Looks to me like there is no lateral triangulation at all and all of the bends are front to rear relying on the welds soly to keep the cage from folding sideways.:eeek:
Unexperienced suggestion there would be to put a cross brace between the "B" pillars. Upper corner to lower corner (X would probably be even better).

Again, uneducated guess would seem to me to greatly increase the lateral strength were it counts the most (i.e. were your head is :redneck:)
________
Kissing advice advice

Last edited: