• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cam or buckle style harness

ronin-sj410

Looking to get some harnesses for my zook and would like to hear some opinions. I'm looking at two different styles of harness, one is a cam style and the other is a standard buckle style (similar to a factory seat buckle). I would like to hear what works best when dealing with mud, water and other elements of off-roading. Thanks everyone

I prefer the duckbill style because you can see the latch and know its locked plus I have been running that type for over 8 years..

I prefer the duckbill style because you can see the latch and know its locked plus I have been running that type for over 8 years..

I see what you mean, I think this may be the way to go. Looks like it would hold up best against the elements as well as the safety factor of being able to see the latching.

I ran latch style in my wheeler since it was exposed to the elements. My autocross truck has cam locks going in. Anyone that doesn't like cam locks because they can't see that it's latched must have a hell of a time with seat belts in cars since they can't figure out if it's latched or not.

Actually Im too FAT to see them. I can feel the latch and feel it poking thru the catch.

I dont like OEM buckles in a dirty/muddy enviroment just likeI cant see the crud inside a cam latch.

Just me. :D

Plus if Im dead or knocked out, even the dumbest person on earth can PULL a buckle latch.

80 percent of the world cant even figure out how to unscrew a gas cap without directions in 3 languages, let alone unscrew my seatbelts! :redneck:

I've had the Crow cam style for several years, and they work great, no problems with sand/dirt/mud. They are easy to use, and open easily even upside down. The best part is being able to lock in 1 belt at a time. I always hate having to line up all the belt ends perfect, then closing the latch, it is a process. I get in and out of my rig a lot, and being easy to use, means i always wear them.

I do keep a knife zip-tied to my cage within arms reach because you never know regardless of what latch you're using.

I have used all three styles, the buckle ones were only 2 inches wide. The duckbill style are fine, but hard to open when upside down. The can style I wasn't sure would be good in the dirt and filth, but since I change them out fairly often I thought I would try them. They handle the dirt fine, open easy when you forget what side is down. They positively latch in so you know they are hooked. I vote cam lock.

I do keep a knife zip-tied to my cage within arms reach because you never know regardless of what latch you're using.

This.

I actually have two belt knifes, use Velcro. One is between the front two seats, easily within reach of the front seat occupants. The other is on the roll bar, by the back hatch, in case I need to cut the kid's belts in the back.

Ounce of caution is better than a pound of regret.

I believe that the duckbills were designed for the military so that it is easier for someone else to get you out when you aren't able to do that yourself.

I prefer the latch style myself. The cam lock and the push button buckle is not legal in the series I race in. I keep seat belt cutters on my shoulder straps.
24663904070_004310dab3_b.jpg