• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

can a d44 housing be bent back to straight?

Hip

78 bronco HP 44. lockritew was banging loudly and binding so we discovered the housing is bent. could it be bent back into straight then trussed to maintain that shape?

when i welded the truss on my 9 inch housing it got warped quit a bit and i was able to unwarp it with some redneck engineering. big assed strong back, some chain, and a 40 t botttle jack.

anyone ever try this?

any tips or advice?

Hip said:
78 bronco HP 44. lockritew was banging loudly and binding so we discovered the housing is bent. could it be bent back into straight then trussed to maintain that shape?

when i welded the truss on my 9 inch housing it got warped quit a bit and i was able to unwarp it with some redneck engineering. big assed strong back, some chain, and a 40 t botttle jack.

anyone ever try this?

any tips or advice?

It can be bent back but on a front aplication I would not due to the od road manuvers you might get. But you can have it re-tubed. PLus it also depends on where you truss it because it could be bent near the spring perch(if its leaf spung) and you are not going to be able to really do an effective truss in that area..

I'll agree w/ most of whats been sayed here....

IF its bent at the housing (which would kinda surprize me that it didn't crack the housing), you COULD bend it back.....assuming the tubes were still straight....

I know this one guy that has a heavily trussed HP D60 in the front of his rig.....
lots of people think the truss is just to look cool......but its there to hold the axle straight, and to keep it from going back where it used to be..

last time I had it all torn apart and re-checked it, its still "straight enough"

--Berne

I have not seen a 44 crack the center at the tube area, just seen them pull/twist the tubes in the center or oblong the hole in the center where the tube goes in. But I would be shocked if the tube was bent inside the center. On leaf spring rigs they will wanna bend right around the spring perch area..

I did a amc20 like that once. built a jig to straighten it and then built the truss to hold it there,lol... And it worked fine till xbabyjesus ripped the axles out of the CJ...

crash said:
I have not seen a 44 crack the center at the tube area, just seen them pull/twist the tubes in the center or oblong the hole in the center where the tube goes in. But I would be shocked if the tube was bent inside the center. On leaf spring rigs they will wanna bend right around the spring perch area..

I hit a tree doing about 40 in my previous scout. It busted the center section on the INSIDE of the cast perch area. The tube was still u-bolted to the spring. Wish I had pics of it:rolleyes:

A guy backed a forklift off of a loading dock, right onto the hood of the new F-550 4x4 shop truck. I saw Holbrooks bring that 60 back to straight. Trussed it to be safe. they chained it to the lift and used big ass bottle jacks and gentle heat to bring it back.

crash said:

I did a amc20 like that once. built a jig to straighten it and then built the truss to hold it there,lol... And it worked fine till xbabyjesus ripped the axles out of the CJ...

what happened to that rig anyway ... and is the current BBS kerry the same kerry that helped build kujo?

well we will attempt it tonight. it appears to be bent on the long side tube right where it is pressed into the center section. how much i dont know exactly.

after putting it all together the locker was binding and releasing causing a ten time louder detroit shuffle to the front. upon further inspection the gap between the center in the locker is way off. too narrow on top and too wide on the bottom.

we are gonna try some redneck engineering on it. whats the worst that can happen, bend it worse? its already bent.:toilet:

ill let ya all know how it works. gathering redneck materials now:

large logging chain. bottle jack, strongback, bucket, and a video camera should do it.:corn:

SeaRubi said:
what happened to that rig anyway ... and is the current BBS kerry the same kerry that helped build kujo?

xbabyjesus bought kujo and it now has 60f and a 14b rear. Yup dunbroke is the one in the same kerry.

Hip said:

large logging chain. bottle jack, strongback, bucket, and a video camera should do it.:corn:

BEER!!!! You can't forget the BEER!!!.

Pabst Blue Ribbon or Milwaukee's Best. It doesn't get any more redneck than that.

Hip said:
well we will attempt it tonight. it appears to be bent on the long side tube right where it is pressed into the center section. how much i dont know exactly.

after putting it all together the locker was binding and releasing causing a ten time louder detroit shuffle to the front. upon further inspection the gap between the center in the locker is way off. too narrow on top and too wide on the bottom.

we are gonna try some redneck engineering on it. whats the worst that can happen, bend it worse? its already bent.:toilet:

You hear about this alot from guys running a toy rear since they are sheet metal they tend to bend :D

here is the trick I have found hip. use a dial indicator to find the high point (dial indicator just inboard the C). make sure the high point is directly up. chain the diff to the jack stands with a think bar in the jack stands and a bottle jack. your not going to be able to cold bend it so your going to have to put some heat to it..

well the tube looks loose in the socket. i put a dial indicator on the long tube from the center section and watched it as we raised the vehicle. it moved just taking the weight off the tires about .010 consistently. when we flexed it with the bottle jack to about .030 the gap between the locker was correct and parralel within tolerance.

as soon as the jack was released it returned. so we flexed it up and laid a bead around the tube socket and it made it better but when released it crept back to slightly out of tolerance. after the weld it will still flex with the bottle jack to within tolerance we will be building a truss to hold it in alignment.

the owner (popeye) is heading to alsaka for a few months so we will remove the locker and wheel it this weekend with an open front diff, then work out the truss when he returns.

i do believe we can make this work.

my shop is a pepsi drinking shop no beer for me. :puke:
if im gonna drink it will be rum.

OffRoadPoser said:
If worse comes to worse, I'm pretty sure I have a spare housing at home. Of course it Jim Hayes old housing, so who knows who straight it is...

Rade

thanks rade it might come to that but he is gonna try to make this housing work as he spend so much time making it fit and adding leaf perches. but you never know we might just need it by the time we get done.

im gonna try to scan the jeep engine tonight to see whats making it miss.:cool:

Toyotanut said:
:pics: come on, I know you have a camera

actually i dont own a camera and was taking imaginary photos of the redneck engineering set up as we were doing it. the owner has a nice digi but his computer cannot read the images anymore so any picturs can only be read in the camera. maybe the other neighbor can snap and post a few...GRW where are you?

actually the pictures needed are when we actually do the bend and truss. ill see what i can do. remember im electronically challenged.

Empty housings pop up all the time done here (Gresham Or)
if you were closer I'd sell yeah mine (mabey the trash man might be heading this way sometime soon??)
its empty. I was going to chop it down for an EB