• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

car bought gifted in Al driving to Ohio tag question

dwa2469

22RTE Buggy,LC Axles,39 reds
My mother is giving her sister, who lives in Ohio, her 2000 S10 blazer. My question is this, she wants to fly down to Alabama and drive the car back to Ohio. What does she need for a tag to drive it home? I'm thinking title and Bill of sale/gift letter is all she would need. Any info would be appreciated.

Leave the vehicle tagged and insured in mom's name... "Borrow" it and drive home.... Then tag and insure it at home.

Otherwise, Get a temp tag in AL and insure it before driving home.

Not 100% sure how it works in Alabama, but get title notarized and a 30 day tag, you don't wanna drive in Ohio with no tag, you will for sure get pulled over, hell they pull you over for not having a front tag up here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if I remember correctly if a car is gifted instead of bill of sale noting anything under 700 bucks you pay more for a tag taxes wise than not. I know off topic but just a pointer

My mother called the clerk in Cullman and they said her sister cant get a temp tag because she is not a resident

SHELBS44 said:
Also if I remember correctly if a car is gifted instead of bill of sale noting anything under 700 bucks you pay more for a tag taxes wise than not. I know off topic but just a pointer

I believe you are correct....they would be better off to right a bill of sale for $1 rather than as a gift.

MoparMan said:
I believe you are correct....they would be better off to right a bill of sale for $1 rather than as a gift.
I thought that was right but if I remember correctly they changed it from $1 to minimal $700 I think. Something like that

waterman said:
Do it as a trade on the Bill of Sale. They can not tax a trade.
the only way that would work if she really was trading, you would have to provide a tag receipt of the vehicle you was trading.

Yes in Ohio it can be given as a gift and no taxes but being out of state I don't know what applies, I'd call Ohio bmv and ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio can be gifted as long as its a immediate family member. If not immediate family they will be taxed book value. All i normally do is put 500 bucks on title and when they ask condition say poor. She will have to get an out of state inspection which any dealership in ohio will do for 5 bucks. All they do is match vin to title and give you paperwork to take to bmv. Write a bill of sale and slap a tag off another vehicle from ohio on it or leave out of state tag on. If for some reason they get pulled over state highway or sheriff will just call the previous owner to verify. Have had that happen to me more than once. Easy as pie.

What he said. If gifted, won't have to pay sales tax, otherwise, will have to pay book value unless noted otherwise. I always just pull the tag off of something else in the driveway. She will have title or bill of sale for drive home if she gets pulled over, and has 30 days to get it insured.

Problem solved, they finally got a hold of someone with sense at bmv in Ohio. If my mother sends them the signed title and gift letter, they can buy a 30 day temp tag to bring to Al. And put on vehicle to drive home for inspection and registration etc. Thanks for the input guys