• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CAR CARE/RUST PREVENTION

rpf500

I know some of you on this forum have not even seen snow in person, let alone have to deal with salt on the roadways or things like that. I unfortunately do have to deal with those things. I also know alot of you guys are crazy about your vehicles and have a lot of tips and tricks and things you do to take care of them. This is more of a specific question I have but I also would like to hear any other things you do with your vehicles exterior to take care of it. For example, I am a big fan of Meguiras products. Some people hate it, What do you guys use for wax?

So, I have a 2006 GMC truck. All GM's are know to rust in the cab corners/rockers. Mine seem to be in pretty good shape still. I was cleaning up the rockers this weekend and noticed some large rubber plugs in behind the rockers. I pulled the plugs and could feel dirt and **** inside there so I blew them out with the air hose. What a freaking mess!!! Sand, rust particles, leaves, etc...... So, I started googling because now I am worried. Guys are using Fluid Film, Wayoyl, POR15, spray on bed liner, motor oil, etc to spray in the access holes and prevent rust. Do any of you have experience with this at all and have a recommendation? I want to spray something in there, but I am not sure what to use. Guys are also taking the headlights out and spraying in the fenders as well and down in the door panels.

I'll have to look into that to see if it's able to be sprayed. I won't be able to wipe it on . Otherwise, sounds like just what I'm after. Thanks a lot

I use a product from Kent called Inner panel rust proofing. 3M and several other companies also make similar products. There's a hose that comes with most of them with has a nozzle in the end that sprays fluid in all directions. This is the first one that came up.

Attachments

• md-1006_L_1adb0170.jpg
    md-1006_L_1adb0170.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 243
Never used anything other than Mothers Wax on the outside. For the underside and everywhere else I just thoroughly wash underside, corners, fenderwells and any nook and cranny I can get to with a hose after snow or days from treatments as soon as it warms up and isn't freezing. Never had any rust issues other than a car that already had progressive rust started from not cleaning.

Not waiting and putting off washing to me is most important. Stay on top of it and you should be ok. The plugs you talked about sound like they need to be pulled and left out

I live in PA so we know all about rust. Fluid film is a real good product also look for a krown dealer near you. They actually offer a warranty if you have done a newer vehicle. If they is a dealer near you let them spray it. They should have attachments that will get above the rear wheel wells, front inner fenders etc. Etc.

sledneck said:
I live in PA so we know all about rust. Fluid film is a real good product also look for a krown dealer near you. They actually offer a warranty if you have done a newer vehicle. If they is a dealer near you let them spray it. They should have attachments that will get above the rear wheel wells, front inner fenders etc. Etc.

So these places like Ziebart that offer rust protection use fluid film?

I found this last night. I'm going to call Monday and talk to them. Looks like what I had in my mind.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

You can buy a gallon of fluid film for around $40 if you want to spray it yourself. I can do 3 crew cab longbed trucks with a gallon. I would think you would need a case of aerosol cans to do a truck. Check these guys you can buy a entire undercoating kit from them. http://www.kellsportproducts.com/

sledneck said:
You can buy a gallon of fluid film for around $40 if you want to spray it yourself. I can do 3 crew cab longbed trucks with a gallon. I would think you would need a case of aerosol cans to do a truck. Check these guys you can buy a entire undercoating kit from them. http://www.kellsportproducts.com/

How long does fluid film last? As in, how often do you reapply it on your trucks?

I mostly want the rust encapsulation stuff in the rockers. I can't see in there but assume there is atleast some rust. Mine's a dually so bed is not an issue since it's not steel.

Disregard my above post. Guess I should have looked at the link BEFORE posting. molaugh

Q. Is Fluid Film an effective rust remover?
A. No, Fluid Film is not formulated to remove rust. However, if applied over existing rust, it will stop it immediately from spreading further. Fluid Film will penetrate rust and rust scale to the base metal, loosening and easing in the removal process

Q. Will Fluid Film prevent existing rust from spreading?
A. Yes, Fluid Film will stop it immediately from spreading further.

Q. How often do I need to apply Fluid Film for auto or truck undercoating ?
A. Fluid Film is an annual application. Apply in the fall to provide protection through the winter season.