• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Carpet or Vinyl floormat?

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So what are you thoughts for floor mats, I am NOT going with the vinyl as it holds in the moisture and has subsequently rusted holes in my floor:booo: . Is getting a carpet floor mat a good idea? I just figure it'll breathe better and not trap moiusture in if it gets wet (which I don't care if it gets wet/dirty) I just really want to muffle the noise that running a bare floor will prolly cause, I am not a "mudder" person, so this carpet/flooring will only see snow and occasional dirt/mud from my shoes. I am wondering if maybe spraying/rolling some of the cheapy bed liner on first THEN putting in a carpet would be a good idea???

Thoughts?:corn:

I really doubt that a floor mat is going to contribute to noise reduction.

Sorry, I'm talking a complete carpeted floor to replace the vinyl capreting that was covering the entire floor..

Although I could just buy a pallet of floormats and lay them arbitrarily all over the floor of the truck:redneck: :haha:

The carpet in my TJ dosen't breathe much. I've had water between the floor and tub that didn't dry for two weeks 'til I proped the carpet up with small wood blocks.

My TJ carpets get soaked constantly in the winter. I bring her home, park it in an un-heated garage, prop up the carpets and they're dry in a couple of days.

A shiny coat of paint that also covers metal seams is the best way to prevent rust. Leave the carpet edges free; if they are fastened under moldings you wont be able to lift them and the floor will never dry out.

Last edited:
I don't like anything to be moving around under my feet. And on anything that gets wheeled, there is going to be some water and mud getting in one way or another and will cause rust if you don't adequately dry everything out. The multi-layer carpet that came from the PO failed on both accounts.

So I went with the roll-in bedliner stuff. It accomplished the goal of covering the new metal I put in and mostly sealing out rust, but it's slicker than oily snot when it gets wet. It was cheap, and it's easy to touch up since you can get it in spray bombs as well, but it's kind of brittle and I've got a few chips from heavy things sliding around. The DIY stuff goes on pretty thin, so I doubt there is any appreciable noise or heat insulation.

I think the ideal solution would be to pay the $300 or whatever to get a good non-slip bedliner sprayed in at 1/8" thick or so. You can still throw floormats in if you want.

there is a good roll on bedliner its called grizzly grip and if i remember right its like 100 for a gallon ill try to dig up the site

put rust stopper on the floor or cut and weld in new floor pans. Is that a S10 thing. get back out work.

These guys are right. The best thing you can do is get the metal floor itself sealed and protected from moisture first. A spray/roll on liner is the best way as long as you don't cut corners on the prep. After that, put what covering you want on it. Carpet is going to hold the moisture the worst out of anything. The backing traps and holds the water and unless you get air movement on BOTH sides it will take along time to dry out.

Since your not cool enough to have Jeep OEM drain holes in your rig I think you need to start with a drill. :fawkdancesmiley:

And X2 for the bedliner floor. Get the Herculiner NOT the Dupli-color, I made that mistake and will be redoing it.

I'm considering tearing the carpet out of my F350 Superduty and having it sprayed with bed liner. About 2yrs ago the kids were messing with a gallon of syrup from Costco and removed the foil seal and left the cap loose. Went around a corner and heard the "thunk" of it tipping over. Figured it was no big dead and continued on. When I got where I was going, opened the door to get out and syrup was running out. :wtf:

Now on hot summer days, it still smells like a pancake house. :puke:

Hmmmm..... I have had around an inch of standing water in my Toyota on several occasions, a couple times accidental, and one time it was my own damned fault. That last time was for several months that I hardly drove it.

I rolled down my windows for a sunny day, and it dried up completely. I think there are different carpet options. Mine is rather thin, so it dries quickly. I have recently pulled my carpet up to do some bodywork, and the flooring is in much better shape than my exterior panels! :redneck: