• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Carrier stuck in front D60

Beyer

DC1
I broke off all 8 bolts in my Detroit last weekend, which took out by front ring gear. Anyway, I can't get the carrier out of the housing (yes, the axle shafts are out and bearing caps removed).
I think the Detroit is unloaded now that there are not ANY bolts holding it together. Any tricks to getting this out and what is the Detroit/Spring going to do once it does come out? Is there going to be a million pieces flying everywhere? Is there enough spring pressure that I could hurt someone or something?

Ya need a dana 60 case spreader, it gos in the two holes on the outside of the diff. And has a jackin bolt that actually spreads the housing a few thousanths to get the carrier out

The gears went in without a case spreader about 2 years ago. I think the Detroit being unloaded may have something to do with it.

Beyer said:
The gears went in without a case spreader about 2 years ago. I think the Detroit being unloaded may have something to do with it.

any detroits Ive had apart (rebuild, etc) I've had to put them in a press/vise or build a bolt press with a piece of all thread and some plates to hold the case halves together to get the bolts back in.

:afro: I seen on dumbest stuff on wheels how to get anything out that thinks it don't want to hook a chain to the carrier hook the other end of the chain to a tree and then back up real fast nobody gets hurt and no need in a case spreader! :dblthumb:

Re: Re: Carrier stuck in front D60

Use ur winch. Double or triple line it with snatchblocks to a vehicle parked in front of u.. Blocks are Not for increased power but to slow line speed down. Put tree saver around carrier..
Spray paint the left side of carrier and shims so u know which shims came from where

Thats how we do it on the trail.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

yellowjacket said:
Use ur winch. Double or triple line it with snatchblocks to a vehicle parked in front of u.. Blocks are Not for increased power but to slow line speed down. Put tree saver around carrier..
Spray paint the left side of carrier and shims so u know which shims came from where

Thats how we do it on the trail.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Now that is what I was looking for. Thanks.

But, with the bolts out of the Detroit, what about the heavy spring inside the Detroit?

Beyer said:
Now that is what I was looking for. Thanks.

But, with the bolts out of the Detroit, what about the heavy spring inside the Detroit?

Try to wrap the tree saver around around the detriot so that when it comes out the tree saver lessons the explosion? :dunno:

Blase said:
Try to wrap the tree saver around around the detriot so that when it comes out the tree saver lessons the explosion? :dunno:

I would have to wrap from side to side and I don't see a way to do that. I tried a clamp, but with the shape of the detroit, it wants to slide off.

I thought about tack welding the 2 sides of the detroit, pulling the carrier using method above, stick it in a vise, cut the tack welds, and then slowly release the vise. Not sure my vise will be wide enough though.

fordcontraption01 said:
true back when i ran a d44 and 44 boggers i got lots of exercise changing out side gears in the detroits.

Yeah, my previous post about using a vise/press/allthread to reassemble them was for ease of assembly. I could hold the case halves together by hand, but I usually didnt have another person there to start the bolts or hold the case.

Same **** Beyer, used my suckdown winch and a 4x4 on the diff face, and a big ass pry bar. I didnt yank the thing out to let it explode all over. Just enough tension to get it to pop out of the bearing seats
Basically put tension on it, then you get some shock hits with the prybar. That paint one side, is a damn good idea.

It finally came out. The winch was pulling the front of my truck and not popping the carrier out. :eek: I went back to the pry bar and jumped on it for awhile and it finaklly popped. All of that to find out the Detroit was destroyed as well. Got a Yukon locker and new gears on the way. Going to weld the detroit into a spool.