• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cat noise ?

toyodaaddict

has any one ever heard a cat make noise? and no i dont mean meow meow:D
i got this noise that sounds like the bearings in my transmission have gone to hell and every day this week its got worse and iv gotten more sure it was time for a new trany until today it started doing it at idle and i crawled under the truck and found the sound coming out of the cat. im just blowen away by this, while in the truck it sounds just like transmission bearings.

anyone ever experiance anything like this? (84 toyota)

Yeah, the honeycomb inside has come apart---shut the truck off, and smack it with a mallet; should sound like marbles rattling; time for a new kitty!!! And once that is fixed, make sure it's running properly...a poor running engine can kill a cat in no time...:awesomework:

does it do it more when off the gas and in gear coasting to a stop ..my car does that raddel noise and it is the broken kitten .... i bought a dog and radio volume up and the problem is solved!

does it do it more when off the gas and in gear coasting to a stop ..my car does that raddel noise and it is the broken kitten .... i bought a dog and radio volume up and the problem is solved!
its at its worsed at 2300RPM any gear.but yeah it does it in gear coasting

Replace the muffler filter and that will clear out the broken pieces.

Replace the cat

im thinking of hallowing out the inside of the cat and puting it back together but it has an o2 sensor or somthing so im not sure this will work without effecting my engine?

im thinking of hallowing out the inside of the cat and puting it back together but it has an o2 sensor or somthing so im not sure this will work without effecting my engine?

You can do that or just weld flanges onto a piece of pipe and use that in place of your cat.

You can do that or just weld flanges onto a piece of pipe and use that in place of your cat.

You could even add an o2 sensor bung to keep the OBD system happy.

ZING!!!!

build175.jpg

build176.jpg

your check engine light will come on if its 96 or newer

as long as you have a muffler to keep some back pressure you will be fine knock that **** out of there. its old enough that its not going to make any difference in the way it runs. it will breath a little better and probably get a few more horsies out of it. :awesomework:

so whould you guys recomend buying a new cat or just reaming out the old one?:silly7: (that doesnt sound right at all)
Make sure you're area doesn't require emissions testing...
as long as you have a muffler to keep some back pressure you will be fine knock that **** out of there. its old enough that its not going to make any difference in the way it runs. it will breath a little better and probably get a few more horsies out of it. :awesomework:
Actually with a properly tuned engine, you will notice no difference whether the cat is there or not...If you've ever done a backpressure test---you'll know that the cat provides no restriction, as long as it's not damaged...

Make sure you're area doesn't require emissions testing...

Actually with a properly tuned engine, you will notice no difference whether the cat is there or not...If you've ever done a backpressure test---you'll know that the cat provides no restriction, as long as it's not damaged...

Its an 84 so it shouldnt need emissions, and its making crazy noises it has to be messed up :D

How is that possible I know with any cat I have ever seen you can barely if at all see through them, and on a stock toyota with a 3.0 it makes a bigger difference (soundwise atleast) to take the cat out than the muffler.

Latest posts