• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CB's ?

I'm using a Uniden PC68XL in my 76 Ford. Great radio. The new Unidens such as the PC68 and PC78 are better radios than the new Cobras. I've been on a few CB radio forums and talked with the locals and many agree, and recommend the Uniden. The older Cobras are good, the best ones were made in the Philippines. 40 channel CB's come from the factory with a 4watt deadkey, but they "swing" up around 10-12watts (when you talk into it). If you want more power without using a linear amplifier look into a Galaxy, Magnum, Connex, or RCI radio. I run a RCI 2950 for a base and it puts out about 35 watts. They are sold without the 11 meter (40ch CB) band but a tech can convert it to work on 11 meters.

One of the best mobile antennas out there is the Wilson 5000, either magmount of permanent roof mount. They have a 62" whip. The roof mounts work better and have better ground, but you'll have to drill a 3/4" hole in the roof. A 102" SS whip with a 4-6" spring is also a very good choice, IF you want a 8 1/2 foot whip whipping around. Not always good on the trail, as they can smack your spotter. The Firestick and other fiberglass antennas work OK, as long as they are 4' or longer. I went from a 4 1/2' Fiberglass antenna to the Wilson 5000 and the difference is night and day. I'm talking to locals that I couldn't hear before in the mobile, and I can get another 5-10 miles from my base station depending on which direction I go (running barefoot) When you wire your CB for power, run the wires straight to the battery, that'll give you the most juice and limit the level of interference coming from alternators and fuel pumps. Install the fuse as close to the battery as you can get it. A major part of your system is the grounding. Ground the radio to the body, the antenna mount (NOT the antenna) to the body/chassis, the body to the chassis, battery to chassis, etc. Grounding is important in getting your SWR low. The higher your SWR the more power is reflected back into the radio, burning it up. It'll also help your signal, the antenna uses the body of your rig as a ground plane. You'll need a SWR meter to tune the antenna in. The radioshack meters are $50, they work, but you can get a better meter online for 20 bucks less.

This guy is good to deal with and ships fast, I buy most of my radio stuff from him.

http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/home.html

You can get alot further with a $10 radio and $100 of antenna than you can with a $100 radio and a $10 antenna.

Last edited: