• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Centering a Weld In Yoke for Drive Shaft

ToledoDan

So I have a 2.625" OD, 2.375" ID drive shaft that I want to weld in a 1410 yoke. The problem I am having is the only 1410 weld yokes I can find that are close is for a 2.315 ID.

Any quick tips to take up the difference in diameters? I am sure there is something simple like wrap it with tape/ shims etc and just weld it or something simple, but I would like to hear what others have done for a easy way to center them when the diameters don't quite match? And still have it concentric and balanced.

this is for a dedicated trail rig 450hp/TH350/4sp Atlas and Rockwells. Let me know if I am going to regret that 1/8" wall driveshaft?

I've dented everything up to 1/4wall. I'd say that's minimum although with rockwells you may not have an issue touching rocks.

Not too worried about hitting it on rocks running 43" stickies with the Rockwell's, just don't want to put money in something that will not hold up to the torque

ToledoDan said:
Not too worried about hitting it on rocks running 43" stickies with the Rockwell's, just don't want to put money in something that will not hold up to the torque

.120 should be fine if you're not worried about denting. The only reason to go thicker is for rock protection. Drag guys running way more power than we would ever consider running use as little as .065. The twisting strength is in the OD.

That's an oddball size OD for a driveshaft though which is most likely why you can't find a yoke that fits it just right. How did you come about that piece of tube?

redneckengineered said:
.120 should be fine if you're not worried about denting. The only reason to go thicker is for rock protection. Drag guys running way more power than we would ever consider running use as little as .065. The twisting strength is in the OD.

That's an oddball size OD for a driveshaft though which is most likely why you can't find a yoke that fits it just right. How did you come about that piece of tube?

bought it from a guy on pirate for the yokes/slip on the other end and did not realize it was such an odd ball size until I went to shorten it. he had a Toyota CV on one end and 1410/Rockwell stuff on the other. found a 1410 yoke for $25 that was a bit smaller than I needed rather than paying $100 to have one machined.