• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ceramic header coating

EddieHall

I'm trying to see what's out there. I've read alot of post were ppl r buying DIY kits Eastwood and jegs has anyone tried this method, and what kind of results if so.
I've read that some ppl. r powder coating headers. I don't think I would go the powder coating way ,i just see it holding up.
Or who does ceramic coating ,close to the southern states.thanks Eddie

Where r they located I don't mind spending the money to get better results n the long run it probably will be cheaper then buying new headers every 4-5 years

I recently did alot of research on this. I found that ceramic is very easily scratched and useless if debris from your tires will hit it. They do make high temp powder coating. It is rated up to 1200*. It holds up very well to being scratched. I did it and this first time out badly overheated my motor. Some areas of my headers turned gray and the outermost layer flaked off. There was still protection on it and it did not rust. When I pulled my motor to do a rebuild I painted them with high temp paint so it would all be the same color. The part that turned was at the heads, so the part that gets debris slung at it still looked great.

Nirtoplate in TN did my headers inside and out. I think I paid $240 plus shipping, very reasonable. They have dulled but have survived two seasons of very muddy northeast racing with no rust on them anywhere.

I'd have them coat another pair if I needed to, great people to deal with and fast turnaround. I think it was less than two weeks with shipping from NJ to TN and back.

WP_000997_zpsac6e19ad.jpg

IN February of 2015 nitro plate redid mine under warranty. They told me they were no longer doing coatings for the general publicanymore. Further, they said that if my coating failed again, RUST CAME THROUGH ON MINE in less than 6 months, that i was out of luck as they were making an exception to fix mine since they closed their doors to general public.

I've called places around here within 100 miles no one will do it.1 guy said he would do it for 300 no warranty

I do cerakote on guns in my spare time, I'm thinking of trying it on my new buggy when it's done to see how it holds up. The c series is rated for 1700 degree's

Dirt700 said:
I do cerakote on guns in my spare time, I'm thinking of trying it on my new buggy when it's done to see how it holds up. The c series is rated for 1700 degree's

Once my buddy gets a smaller oven we'll be redoing all my stuff with cerakote inside and out. We tried the 1200F powdercoat and it starting to flake off in patches after one ride.

My engine builder/tuner has a lot of experience with ceramic coating, and he won't waste his time using it, especially if its sprayed. Its more of a west coast thing.

croes said:
Once my buddy gets a smaller oven we'll be redoing all my stuff with cerakote inside and out. We tried the 1200F powdercoat and it starting to flake off in patches after one ride.

My engine builder/tuner has a lot of experience with ceramic coating, and he won't waste his time using it, especially if its sprayed. Its more of a west coast thing.
The c series cerakote is air cure, the biggest thing with cerakote is to degrease, and when you thinks it clean, do it one more time. I have only used c series once. Most of the time all you will need is the h series, but the temp rating is only 400. There isn't much color selection in c series, but depending on amount you need they can mix custom colors.

I had a set of headers done for my drag car the headers and 18" collectors I had them done in cermakrome a place called M&R performance coating they turned out really well inside and out for $350

cdemart2 said:
Nirtoplate in TN did my headers inside and out. I think I paid $240 plus shipping, very reasonable. They have dulled but have survived two seasons of very muddy northeast racing with no rust on them anywhere.

I'd have them coat another pair if I needed to, great people to deal with and fast turnaround. I think it was less than two weeks with shipping from NJ to TN and back.

WP_000997_zpsac6e19ad.jpg
I was told by a shop in GA that does it that Mother's Mag and aluminum polish would shine them back up like new.

Waffle said:
Zircotec plasma sprayed ceramic coatings and level 1-3 shields are famous overseas and is a favorite among Formula1 and other race teams. You can get it in the United States but I have no idea about cost. Do a google images search to check out their work. This is serious stuff!
www.zircotec.com

Wow!!!! This looks the beast!!!! Have you read it? They do it for Lambos ans Aston Martin??? Really cool stuff
The only downside is on their FAQs they say they have to apply it on their facilities. I wonder how much it would be the shipping?