• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chainsaw carb adjustment

NotMatt

So I got an older Homelite 330 for free from my dad. The story is the guy he got it for free from fiddled with the idle and high/low screws on the carb, then it wouldn't run after that.

It's got good compression and spark, and I can get it to fire and run for a second or two with some starting fluid, but it won't idle and I can't seem to get things "right".

Any tips? Where should I start the adjustments at for a good baseline to at least get it running?

on a side note put fresh gas in it... Gas goes stale these days real fast and chain saws don't like stale gas

It has an idle screw and a Hi and Lo screw, I'm guessing you're speaking of the idle screw to start with? What to do with the Hi and Lo after that?

It had a little bit of gas in there, I topped it off with fresh mix.

Air cleaner is nice and clean, but the top is off the carb right now cause I can only get it to start with some starting fluid.

I'll dig into it more tomorrow... might have a cracked fuel hose, since I'm not getting anything once the starter fluid runs out.

Use it for target practice. Get a Stihl.

Generally I would agree... but I couldn't beat free, and if I can get it running and I don't like it, I'll pass it on to someone else who will use it. It's gotta be better than the 1960's McCulloch 250 I've been using :redneck:

Don't let the homelite haters deter you. I have two stihls and a homelite, the homelite is the trail saw (why bust up nice stihls?). It's great for clearing trails in the spring and if it breaks or gets run over, who cares?

Latest posts