• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chainsaw carb adjustment

NotMatt

So I got an older Homelite 330 for free from my dad. The story is the guy he got it for free from fiddled with the idle and high/low screws on the carb, then it wouldn't run after that.

It's got good compression and spark, and I can get it to fire and run for a second or two with some starting fluid, but it won't idle and I can't seem to get things "right".

Any tips? Where should I start the adjustments at for a good baseline to at least get it running?

on a side note put fresh gas in it... Gas goes stale these days real fast and chain saws don't like stale gas

It has an idle screw and a Hi and Lo screw, I'm guessing you're speaking of the idle screw to start with? What to do with the Hi and Lo after that?

It had a little bit of gas in there, I topped it off with fresh mix.

Air cleaner is nice and clean, but the top is off the carb right now cause I can only get it to start with some starting fluid.

I'll dig into it more tomorrow... might have a cracked fuel hose, since I'm not getting anything once the starter fluid runs out.

Use it for target practice. Get a Stihl.

Generally I would agree... but I couldn't beat free, and if I can get it running and I don't like it, I'll pass it on to someone else who will use it. It's gotta be better than the 1960's McCulloch 250 I've been using :redneck:

Don't let the homelite haters deter you. I have two stihls and a homelite, the homelite is the trail saw (why bust up nice stihls?). It's great for clearing trails in the spring and if it breaks or gets run over, who cares?