• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Changed up my Axail a bit

Myke J

So I had tested the prototype delrin tranny skid from The Crawler Store. I liked it but had made a few suggestions for the final product. Well they ended up doing what I had suggested, probably had nothing to do with what I said, they were common sense things. So I got one of the production ones yesterday and it looked good. Came with instructions, necessary hardware, and all the holes pre-drilled. The prototype ones didn't have that. They also angled the front and rear of the skid so that they didn't hang up on things. The skid is cut to allow you to inboard the lower links and came with longer screws and spacers for correct mounting of the shocks and links at the diff end.

I had previously put on the Axial 30 degree lower links and had messed around with several different spring and shock oil setups. The setup I had liked the most was the Axial Super Soft springs with 70wt oil, but it still set a little to high for me. But I didn't want to go with a full droop setup either. So when I was ordering the new TCS skid, I had them throw in a set of there Super Soft internal springs. So I installed them with the same 70wt oil, but I put them on top of the piston. It sits lower than before, but not slammed, kind of a semi-droop setup.

I also made a ghetto High-Steer setup because I was tired of bashing the crap out of my steering linkage. I used some heavy shaping foam, kind of like what they use for shaping prototype body kits. Then after I got the shape I wanted, I coated them in JB Weld to stiffen them up. It's not the prettiest thing I've ever made, but it works so far. I haven't beat on it too much because I know that it's not very strong and will probably crush with a bit of stress. I'm gonna get some delrin and try to mill some in my buddies shop.

Here's some pics before the new stuff to show the stance

Bentlinks.jpg

Losibody1.jpg

Losibody2.jpg

Here's the pics of the new junk

Stance from the side
DSCN0660.jpg

Bottom view to show the inboard links
DSCN0663.jpg

The new skid
DSCN0665.jpg

My sweet, ghetto High-Steer