• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Char Lynn Orbital steering motor

monstaru

I picked up this Steering motor a few years agao and got it rebuilt.

I called the mechanic at Applied technologies yesterday to get the specs , as I had lost them.
He was looking at his notes and as he relayed them , the info seems wrong.

Well, the C.I. seems wrong.Just looking for a little help as these here interwebs have been known to evade me occasionally:haha:

Info is:
UM-3-01
old 25 part series(from the 60's I guess,on a Hop harvester :)replaced with a 10 series
non load reaction
open center
17.8 inches per revolution
3/8 npt fittings

So , looking at the FAQ for setting up steering is telling me that this thing moves WAY to fast.Like I would get a quarter or so turn to full lock .

Am I doing my math right?I was gonna use this on my chassis, but was gonna sell it to just do Assist on the Yota.

The mechanic said that utilizing 2-4GPM setup would net me a steering setup I can run with it, But it seems to me that would not be possible.I would still get really fast steering.

Throwing the RPM's in there was kinda confusing me when I was trying to do the math.
Is the inches per revolution directly equated to cubic inches?Or is there a formula that can turn it into C.I......

thanks for any help on this.
cheers

Last edited:
17.8 inches per rev is not a valid spec.

If its 17.8 cubic inches per rev then that is a way too big for a 4x4.

It doesn't jive that 2 - 4 gpm would be enough flow for a 17.8 cubic inch per rev valve.

17.8 inches per rev is not a valid spec.

If its 17.8 cubic inches per rev then that is a way too big for a 4x4.

It doesn't jive that 2 - 4 gpm would be enough flow for a 17.8 cubic inch per rev valve.

I thought so too, I was pretty cornfused when he put that number out there.
ANyone else have old school books/knowledge so's I can find out what eggzachary this damn things does?:haha:
hydraulic gurus?buellerr?
LOL cheers

Got a picture of it? Does it have the Char Lynn tag on it with a complete product number?

Bigger displacement valves are longer. Length won't tell you exactly what it is, but it will get you in the ball park and tell you if it might really be a 17.8 in^3/r valve.

IMG_5837_zpsbe0dc9cf.jpg

ports
IMG_5836_zps0485ece5.jpg

Should put a tape down,I just had these pics. But as you can see it is smaller-ish in length.You can see the end gasket when it is in my hand.Barely missing seeing the end cap.
AND, the model number is stamped in the body inbetween the ports.
It is UM-3-01.
cheers

Also, it literally came out of an old burned out hop harvester if that helps.

ANy help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Its just a guess, but that could easily be a 17.3 in^3/r valve. It is long compared to most that you see on 4x4s.

As a comparison here is a 4.5 valve

fhv80_1.jpg

Here is a 7.3 valve

p-111.jpg

and here is an 11.3 valve

p-99-01.jpg

See how they get longer on the end where the gerotor is as the displacement increases. I could easily be wrong though, if that thing is really from the 60s who knows what was going on back then. I tried to find an old Char-Lynn catalog or something to find some info on your valve and came up totally blank.

Wow.It is long!......

Thats what she said!:)
I will havta see what I can market it as then.

Almost no info on it on the interwebs.That mechanic at Applied is the only person I had found that even had access to the info.So.Anyways.
It was free.And I only spent 150 to have it rebuilt :haha:DOH!!

He did say it that 17.8 was the Max.Which he led me to believe , like I said before, that it could still be used in a smaller GPM system.But that didna make sense to me at all....

cheers