• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chassis Fab Question

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
Chassis frame rail inside width?

I have been gathering ideas for a long time about trying my hand at building another rig, building a FToy has its challenges, but you really have to work around the stock frame rail and go from there, basically everything works around it and the drivetrain for the most part is just moved back and its no big deal. I have been wondering what the average inside width of a set of frame rails would be....it looks to me like 26 to 27 inches. (inside to Inside) Am i wrong on this? i am basing my numbers on the width of the winch and what looks to be the clearance on each side of it.

Roughly looking at a LS/TH400/Atlas style drivetrain.

There so many ways to build one of these things that it can get overwhelming and trying to find a good information can be challenging to say the least. There is a lot of great chassis builders here so i just thought someone might be willing to entertain the question...

I am in no way what so ever trying to steal ideas, i am just a guy dreaming of trying to build my own chassis one of these days.

Well I took my widest point from the center line of drive train and just doubled it so on the pass side I have 1 inch from the transfer case to frame rail bc I offset the motor and transfer case 1 inch

JHF Willys chassis are 25.5in inside the frame rails and it's tight.

And it's good ;D

Get your driveline together then build around it. If you can't afford to buy everything right now and want to start chassis go find a mock up (blown motor,Dana 300 instead of atlas) driveline and then Build around it.
Having you parts to build around makes everything 100% easier.

I've got enough **** laying around that I could put you an LS motor together that's no good. I've got a bad 6.0 block and oil pan. I know I have a crap intake. You'd need some heads and you have a mock up motor.

Thanks for the input fellas.

I do agree that having the drive train would make understanding how the overall width a chassis would need to be....the tip about measuring the widest point and doubling the number is a good way to look at it, and it would give the direction needed for whatever drivetrain combination a person was going to use.

i have been wanting Bend Tech for along time and i feel like the more information you know before you start such an undertaking the better off a person would be. The average Joe Public has no clue how much work goes into an off road rig, from the idea stage to researching to building and all the head scratching in between.

i got to measuring on my buddys rig and it was 26 Inside to inside with a SBC/TH350/205

I used a lot of measurements from ibex goat built stuff. I'm surprised he showed the numbers online. It's enough to get a rough good idea of what you need.

As mentioned above, take the centerline measurement of your atlas to the edge. Double that and add an inch. Mine came out to 28" inside width on my new build. Plenty of room for the LS and atlas.

the_white_shadow said:
As mentioned above, take the centerline measurement of your atlas to the edge. Double that and add an inch. Mine came out to 28" inside width on my new build. Plenty of room for the LS and atlas.

This does seem like the best way for sure. And if you had some of the Drivetrain mounts mentioned above you could be off to the races with good start.

Thanks for the ideas fellas.