• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheap Air Cooled VW's

scooter60 said:
This is awesome Kel. Props to you for doing all this with your children. I wish I would have been financially stable enough to do that kind of stuff with my kids when they were younger. May have to look into projects like this once grandkids come along. Thanks for the ideas. :dblthumb:

A lot of this derives from things I wanted to do as a child. I'm not gonna force it on them, but do get a lot of enjoyment when their eyes sparkle doing something I enjoy.

I have started a list of things my kids will have to do before they can drive on their own. Change a flat, oil, filters, wiper blades is a given. Rebuild a carb, change plugs, coil, fuel pump, etc will be based on what they are driving. They don't have to enjoy the work, they just have to be able to do it. 16th birthday won't be a car, but a toolbox with their own tools and a note about the importance of being self reliant in the real world. 10 and 13 years out too soon to be planning this? Who knows?

lowbudgetjunk said:
A lot of this derives from things I wanted to do as a child. I'm not gonna force it on them, but do get a lot of enjoyment when their eyes sparkle doing something I enjoy.

I have started a list of things my kids will have to do before they can drive on their own. Change a flat, oil, filters, wiper blades is a given. Rebuild a carb, change plugs, coil, fuel pump, etc will be based on what they are driving. They don't have to enjoy the work, they just have to be able to do it. 16th birthday won't be a car, but a toolbox with their own tools and a note about the importance of being self reliant in the real world. 10 and 13 years out too soon to be planning this? Who knows?

I don't know you personally, but I see lots of wisdom in your posts. This is great and I also remember how you said you treat Christmas with your kids. It may be time for a Dr Phil type of thread where you can use your voice to help the masses.........lol. Carry on, I'll be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stano said:
I don't know you personally, but I see lots of wisdom in your posts. This is great and I also remember how you said you treat Christmas with your kids. It may be time for a Dr Phil type of thread where you can use your voice to help the masses.........lol. Carry on, I'll be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the kind words. I am just a confused man-child trying to remember what I could improve on from my childhood. It is easier for me than most, because I have been a child for 36 years and have way more experience :)

Fenders, hood, back deck all removed. Gonna drop the engine in the am. Wheels are getting some attention too. Project has a few extra twists and turns, but I am ready to jump in. Anyone say 1776? She is excited for new parts and is helping me order stuff. She is getting the catalog in her name and all boxes in the mail are coming addressed to her.

2 things. 1: can we move this to build threads? 2: buy and read this book, even if you don't have a VW. I have read it 4 times and now my daughter has a copy too.
7f880bfb48fe41ed09c1ff057010b940.jpg

I have a friend that has built them for years he has 10k in a motor that makes stupid power. It once ripped the seat off of the pan when he launched it off the two step. I bought this 66 big window car and a ton of parts for $1,500 iirc. Put about 1,500 in a new pan and pretty much every item that touched the pan, 12v kit, etc. Built a custom narrowed front beam with height adjusters. New wheels and such then i traded it off. Was a really good running and driving car. Needed a gallon of clear coat and about $700 worth of interior to be perfect for me. They are fun and easy to build

That looked like a great little build. My daughter wants everything in the engine pink and purple. Wants a fender red, one white, door blue....holy **** this shall be fun. If I can just have it running and the engine bay looking decent by the summer, I think she will be happy. I do like the idea of undercoating everything and knocking the 40+ years of surface rust off of everything.

You can do that easy, i built this whole car in probably 3 months just tinkering on the weekends. Parts are cheap and easy to find for a super beetle. We probably have a bunch laying around if you need anything specific let me know. I will find the business card of the guy we buy new parts from. He sales parts as a side job after work, no overhead so his prices are right. He is out of athens ga so it will probably take two days to ship parts to you.

Rjhoward32006 said:
You can do that easy, i built this whole car in probably 3 months just tinkering on the weekends. Parts are cheap and easy to find for a super beetle. We probably have a bunch laying around if you need anything specific let me know. I will find the business card of the guy we buy new parts from. He sales parts as a side job after work, no overhead so his prices are right. He is out of athens ga so it will probably take two days to ship parts to you.

Damn you......doors are coming off and the shell too. I have it this far apart, might as well tear it the rest of the way down. It will be a lot easier to weld in the rear floor pans, plus it is going to eventually be torn down.

Any thoughts on undercoating material? I never want to this again.

my pans were brand new so we just cleaned the tunnel as good as possible and sprayed it with a paint called chassis black. got it from ppg I think. its about $100 for a gallon and reducer.
pretty much just black paint. You could always spray it with tractor supply black paint, reduce it to make it spray and add some hardner or it will never dry. that would probably be more durable and last longer.

Re:

My daughter said pink and purple and green....Plus red and blue. She is in charge of paint, interior and engine

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

lowbudgetjunk said:
Though she has no idea what she decided, she chose stroker over turbo. Running and driving by summer is the goal. I am going to let her hand paint a fender over the summer. Each year we will upgrade something and we will paint another section. When it becomes uncool, I will put it up in the shop until she wants it again.

It is similar in idea to my boys Willys. Upgrade over time, enjoy the memories we make while building it. I will let her help weld in the rear floor pans, pick out parts and lead the project, even if it isn't the direction I would go.

start the picture frame now, hang it on the wall with the pic you have and empty spaces for the next photo in that series. otherwise you may loose the pic or time will escape you and you'll forget to take the photo. great idea on this project.
kudos.

rockwhore said:
start the picture frame now, hang it on the wall with the pic you have and empty spaces for the next photo in that series. otherwise you may loose the pic or time will escape you and you'll forget to take the photo. great idea on this project.
kudos.

My wife has started the artistic stuff. My little goons have been helping a bunch. My boy is getting ready for a V-8 build in his 48 Wyllis. I'm gonna be broke for the next few years.

My first car at 11 was a 74 Super Beetle, My dad has never been mechanical but I did get to learn a lot from my grandfather with the car. During summer vacations when I was 12 I worked at a local VW shop doing service and loved every minute of it. Awesome build with your kids.