• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheap, comprehensive tool set for buggy?

patooyee

Looking for a cheap tool set to keep in my buggy so that I don't loose or get stolen my good tools from the shop. Lowe's used to sell an $80 Taskforce set that had like 10 metric, 10 standard wrenches, and a bazillion other sockets from 1/4 - 1/2 drive. It had about 80% of everything one could ever need to fix a buggy but now all they sell is a bunch of **** that isn't nearly as comprehensive and is twice the price. Anyone know of something that will do the trick?

Do you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool nearby?

Most automotive print magazines have coupons for %40 off.

If you actually go to the store and lay hands on the tools, you can pick out decent quality stuff. The "Pittsburgh Professional" at HF looks/feels just like high quality "name brand" tools.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Craftsman sells personalized tools. Get you name tattoo'd on them and when or if they get jacked, you'll have a much better chance of getting them back. Just pull out the yellow pages, call all the pawn shops in town, and ask if they've seen payootee's ****! :dblthumb:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-154-pc-mechanics-tool-set-personalized/p-00933154000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Its not just jacked. I loan my tools to people on the trail, move on, and never see them again, drop them off the rig as I'm moving, leave them on the trailer after fixing and then drive off with them on it, etc. I consider the tools I carry on the buggy disposable and just don't want to spend a lot on them in the first place as a result. I don't think I've ever got the tool bag out on the trail / at camp and ever gone home with everything I left with.

I've never tried HF hand tools. Virtually every other tool I've ever bought from them broke after the first use. But I guess the price is right and they would be disposable. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Wall mart sells stanely tool kits thats what I carry they cheap and come in a pretty good case thats easy too haul/store

tommy450r said:
Wall mart sells stanely tool kits thats what I carry they cheap and come in a pretty good case thats easy too haul/store
i have used stanley impact sockets for years in the garage with great luck.

alot of HF handtools have a life time warranty, plus the coupon in most mags

NTIDWELL said:
Crescent has a set 170 piece amazon has it it for 100

This is what I keep with me on the trails, I also have one I keep in the boat. This kit has most everything you'll need and they hold up. You can find this kit for a $100

Not sure if they have Costcos down south but the ones in Kansas have good prices on tool sets.

Wal-Mart had a 205-piece Stanley mechanics tool set on clearance for $65 so I got that. It's almost as good as the $80 Taskforce set that I keep in my 350,000 mile Honda Accord. I can fill in the gaps with other cheap ****, thanks.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Craftsman sells personalized tools. Get you name tattoo'd on them and when or if they get jacked, you'll have a much better chance of getting them back. Just pull out the yellow pages, call all the pawn shops in town, and ask if they've seen payootee's ****! :dblthumb:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-154-pc-mechanics-tool-set-personalized/p-00933154000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

regualr use of Brake Clean on those tools removes the "etching" same for the "Easy to Read" sockets.

My dad bought the "Easy to Reads" and they had somespecial on getting them personalized. So he did it. Now he has one of his sets of sockets that have zero markings on them. So its a look and guestimate you are getting the right size. They suck.

patooyee said:
Wal-Mart had a 205-piece Stanley mechanics tool set on clearance for $65 so I got that. It's almost as good as the $80 Taskforce set that I keep in my 350,000 mile Honda Accord. I can fill in the gaps with other cheap ****, thanks.

That's a heck of a deal then. May have to go check out the local Wally world for that now.

InDaShop said:
regualr use of Brake Clean on those tools removes the "etching" same for the "Easy to Read" sockets.

My dad bought the "Easy to Reads" and they had somespecial on getting them personalized. So he did it. Now he has one of his sets of sockets that have zero markings on them. So its a look and guestimate you are getting the right size. They suck.

Yeah, I bought some Craftsman "etched" deep wells and the "etching" is just paint that rubs off very easily. I will say though that some of their other "etched" stuff is actually laser etched into the metal itself and will never come off.

BTW ya'll, Fastenal is no longer stocking Craftsman and has been liquidating their entire Craftsman stock at less than cost for a while now. My store is pretty much out now but you may want to check yours. The deep well impact socket set that I got was $50, the same set was $189 at Sears at the some exact time.

Fastenal is also liquidating their gr. 9 bolts. Their pricing scheme is unpredictable for those but they are all cheap, some cheaper than buying gr. 5 in the same size. They have a 72-bin starter set that comes with 200 lbs. of all gr. 9 bolts, I think it was over 2200 bolts, size 1/4 through 5/8, normal price $1200, now $230. I got one of those, too. There was only 30 of those sets left in the entire company when I bought mine a week ago.

Edit: This is the set I am talking about I think:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=11101375

benfowler87 said:
Patooyee which Fastenal are you at?

I don't work there. I just spend a lot of money there and they let me know when stuff gets liquidated because I'll buy a lot of it a lot of the time. I shop at the one in Milton, FL.

patooyee said:
Fastenal is also liquidating their gr. 9 bolts. Their pricing scheme is unpredictable for those but they are all cheap, some cheaper than buying gr. 5 in the same size. They have a 72-bin starter set that comes with 200 lbs. of all gr. 9 bolts, I think it was over 2200 bolts, size 1/4 through 5/8, normal price $1200, now $230. I got one of those, too. There was only 30 of those sets left in the entire company when I bought mine a week ago.

Edit: This is the set I am talking about I think:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=11101375
thanks for the heads up. Bought one of these today.