• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheap Wheelers............

Bought for $700

Fabbed everything up at home with scrap steel i picked up (spring hangers, drivelines, etc.)

$300 parts to rebuild head and machine it down

$40 on chev 63" rear springs and rears up front

Welded rear and $50 lockright front (craigslist deal)

$300 histeer

$300 36" tsl's

Free winch

Home made bumpers

Home made snorkel for intake and distributor

Had maybe $1000 to $1500ish into it after purchase and it was pretty mean for a $2k rig

Recently decided to go a little farther with it so its got a lot more into it but most of it you cant see just by looking. This is about how it looked with $2k or $2.5k ish into it

GhettoFab028.jpg

sj410

08-10-08_15432.jpg

08-10-08_15392.jpg

I picked this rig up in Olympia for $100.00 had a broken t case and dude couldnt get it to run right.

I brought it home and put my spare 4.16:1 t case in it.Fixed the super getto spoa on it.Through the elc sidedraft in the garbage and put 1.5 su carb on it.Pulled the cage out of my other wrecked zuk repaired the a pillar hoop.I had a side kick p.s. set up just laying around,installed that.I had a lockrite laying around I got out of parts zuk I bought afew years back,installed that in the front and welded up the rear spiders.It came with 32" swampers,took the 2 front swampers off and put on 2 bfg muds in the front.

At this point I figured I had about $400.00 in to it.Realised the poor lil 1.0l needed some help so I bought a t.g. 6.5:1 t case set for it.That helped alot.Thats pretty much it,caged,geared,locked for about $800.00 she wheels real good too,amazing lil rig.

A true on the cheap wheeler that performs:awesomework:

I've been working on my XJ and so far I have about $300 invested in it.

It is not yet ready for trails but it will be done all on the cheap, all junkyard **** and spare stuff laying around.

1985 XJ = free

4.3L v6 = $100

700r4/NP231c = $120

Complete TBI intake and harness = $80

Still needs axles (cheap, junkyard) probably something full width with welded diffs, haven't decided yet.

Yes it will be a ghetto-ass booty-fabbed cheapo wheeler just for fun.

It was a free car so why not?

Well other than the fact that i just paid off my TJ it goes where i point it so far.
$300 for '04 tj D35 Posi rear, '98 XJ HPd30 front welded,
$200 3"BDS lift,
$100 front Skyjacker shocks,
200 a piece for rockcrawler bumpers and 100 for rocksliders,
$40 for bedliner
free tires n rims with the lift,
free safari/bikini tops
free Daystar 250 watt foggers w/mounts
free mirror mounts
only new thing i bought new since is a Edelbrock shorty header for $350.

Not bad for a budget build, on an E-4 pay in the Army

Last edited:
Bought for 200 bucks, paid 94 bucks in tax and license, bought a battery for it for 60 bucks, and some little misc parts for it for about 40 bucks, so Im in 400 bucks so far, and havnt gotten farther than into downtown carbonado to check the mailbox hahahaha.

We wont talk about how much I have into my superduty.

DSC04095.JPG

$2500 into it.

87 Sami, SPOA, Sky Hi-Steer, 31" claws $1700 on it, and $2500 into it including the parts mentioned below (with brand new 33"s)

Next week the locker/spool is going in and once I get my bro's5:1s, the YJ springs and 33" Trxus M/Ts (got all the parts)

GetAttachmentaspx1.jpg

about 1700 so far. but i need some srw hubs so another 200.

well i picked up some 44s on rims last weekend for 560 and threw some trading got this 1ton chev 383 4spd 205, figure it cost me about 1200. threw the 44s on it with very ugly sazall cuts
no lift.

ill be bring the plasma cutter home from work when we get a nice weekend. im tryin to build this thing for as cheap as i can.

its very ugly right now.

Last edited:
the thing about it is, that when you guys get these cheap wheelers , it is because you know the guys that are moving onto something else.

i get subarus all the time for virtually nothing.can make my own lift parts.get throw away tires from all the toy guys stepping up, and still go half of the places you do.
no it's not hardcore, and that is why i am building again.but for most, if not all of the stuff around here...it is plenty.
i had about 500 into this car.all the add-ons , i either traded for, or made.

evanscreek.jpg

cheers, brain

the thing about it is, that when you guys get these cheap wheelers , it is because you know the guys that are moving onto something else.

i get subarus all the time for virtually nothing.can make my own lift parts.get throw away tires from all the toy guys stepping up, and still go half of the places you do.
no it's not hardcore, and that is why i am building again.but for most, if not all of the stuff around here...it is plenty.
i had about 500 into this car.all the add-ons , i either traded for, or made.

cheers, brain

To each his own. I prefer to be able to drive up that easy trail.

A true cheap wheeler would sell and part out all the free subi stuff you come up with for nothing and then take the money and build a cheap truck to wheel.

A subi is the only thing I can think of worse than a cherokee.

8 cv joints and no frame.

Just my .02 and Im pretty familar with cheap beaters.:;

Cheers BRad:beer:

i hear ya.the point of the thread is "cheap wheeler". you've already been to the top of the world and back.
at this rate, as i progress thru the different perceptions of cheapdom, and available time i will surely progress through and finally be cool like you are brad.but until then, i'll build **** i can, and wheel it when i can.
cheers, brian:fawkdancesmiley: