• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy 4.3 CPI Alternator wiring question?

Hip

Alternator is not putting out.
i have a known good alternator, has a plug to the side and a red wire with fuseable link coming off the back.

the engine harness comes with a 4 pin plug with one wire that plugs into the plug.

the chassis harnesss has two wires;
big red for back output
white excite wire.

Chassis wiring instructions say to not use the white of you have a chevy one wire alternator...ok.

so im pretty sure i need that white wire

do i piggyback it to the one wire in the plug?

93 CPI i believe its a 105 amp alt

i looked in three books i have that cover those years and it gives nothing on specific wiring to the alternator.

ok i believe on the engine harness it has a wire for the charge lamp i guess i need to hook up a bulb to it? non led bulb?

ok i believe on the engine harness it has a wire for the charge lamp i guess i need to hook up a bulb to it? non led bulb?

Basically, yes. Some people just use an in-line resistor, but a dummy lamp is a cheap and easy diagnostic.

The +(batt) goes to the battery (duh).

There is a plug with four wires, starting with the big wire(it has the larger of the four pins) they are:

S - connect this right to the "+" on the Alt. with a ring terminal
F - Not needed
L - Connect to 12V source with a 3-4 Watt bulb in the circuit (it's supposed to be fairly tolerant of the resistance - like between 30-150 ohms?)
P - Not used

Some regulators have an "I" in the place of the "L", so check the black plastic on the alternator where the plug plugs into. there will be small letters and the "I" version uses slightly different wiring IIRC.

Also, when I did mine I was starting from scratch, so I tried to grab a regulator connector from the junkyard. I grabbed a few, but they all had a wire to the "F" pin instead of the "L" pin and no "L" pin to work with. Something about externally regulated voltage by the ECM or something?? I don't know, but I ended up ordering a new harness plug online to get the right pins.

I just looked at mine and it just has wires hooked to the 2 middle pins on the connector. I have a Howell harness. I'm trying to find the GD wiring schematic to see were the wires go.

thanks for the info guys, thats what makes this board the best.:D

i figured it would be MY wiring that was the issue. ill let ya know how it turns out after the weekend.

I just looked at mine and it just has wires hooked to the 2 middle pins on the connector. I have a Howell harness. I'm trying to find the GD wiring schematic to see were the wires go.

this is what the original harness hadtwo wires to the two middle terminals.

i will hook up the exciter wire to this terminal and see what happens?