• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cj5 rear driveshaft yolk bent

ricks

So I was changing out my 12yr old u-joints on my cj5 rear drive shaft [it has been sitting that long] and when I installed the new one I could not get the snap ring to go in, the yolk seems to be bent in 1/2 the thickness of the snap ring so my question is can anybody bend this back the 1/32nd that I need to get it in correctly, also I did try two different joints in the same yolk and both had the same results

Use a chunk of flat plate a thick washer or two a long bolt N a nut!!!!

If one ear isn't straight, then it likely got damaged/bent trying to remove the old ujoint...seen it happen alot, done it a few times even! :redneck:

I will make someting up with all thread or a bolt that will spread the ears apart and hopefully the bent ear is the one that moves back, also checking for a needle bearing was the first thing I checked but I was not that lucky

Often times one can smack the bent ear out a tad using a brass punch, and the press fit of the cap will hold it in place long enough to get the snap ring on...it's worked in the past for those whoooops moments!

Often times one can smack the bent ear out a tad using a brass punch, and the press fit of the cap will hold it in place long enough to get the snap ring on...it's worked in the past for those whoooops moments!

Yeah I love those 10min jobs that that turn into a cluster f****k but to look on the bright side it would have been much worse on the trail trying to get that old joint out with a hammer and socket.