• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cleaning a soft top

civicmindedex79

May sound like a stupid question but I bought a 1987 Wrangler that has a nice soft top and soft upper doors but they are pretty nasty. Like mildew looking stuff tree sap whatever might have got on it while sitting up for 3 years or so. Any good tricks to cleaning these things besides the $40 cleaners?

civicmindedex79 said:
May sound like a stupid question but I bought a 1987 Wrangler that has a nice soft top and soft upper doors but they are pretty nasty. Like mildew looking stuff tree sap whatever might have got on it while sitting up for 3 years or so. Any good tricks to cleaning these things besides the $40 cleaners?

Have you tried Soft Scrub yet? That stuff can clean the spots off a Dalmation. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

I haven't tried anything yet. Its a black top so I would be hesitant to put anything with bleach in it. Maybe they make soft scrub without bleach? I will look around. Thanks

I even thought about a Mr Clean eraser.

How much are new windows? The ones on my TJ got scratched and there was red clay stain on it and it wasnt that expensive to get new ones. I didnt i just threw my doors in the corner and said f it but might be something to look at.

jeeptj99 said:
How much are new windows? The ones on my TJ got scratched and there was red clay stain on it and it wasnt that expensive to get new ones. I didnt i just threw my doors in the corner and said f it but might be something to look at.

No clue but surprisingly I would say they had the windows off or up on this most of the time. The windows aren't that bad. Top is in good shape just needs a good cleaning.

I mix simple green and water 50/50 in a pump up sprayer. Spray down the top, let it sit a few minutes and go to town with the pressure washer with fan tip.
It gets month old red clay stains out of my black top so it should work on about anything.

jeff150 said:
I mix simple green and water 50/50 in a pump up sprayer. Spray down the top, let it sit a few minutes and go to town with the pressure washer with fan tip.
It gets month old red clay stains out of my black top so it should work on about anything.

I can do this for sure. Thanks

civicmindedex79 said:
No clue but surprisingly I would say they had the windows off or up on this most of the time. The windows aren't that bad. Top is in good shape just needs a good cleaning.

Nice. Not gonna lie there are days i miss having a top and ac when riding.

I use bleche white tire cleaner.

Also, pledge furniture polish works great on hazy or lightly scratched windows.

Bestop makes a great cleaner and protection. Also I use a Novis I think brand on the windows on my LJ it's a 3 step polish it works great

I use a tire cleaner from a local body shop supply. It is a yellow/green color. If the mold/mildew is bad may take a couple applications using a light scrub brush. It does real well about removing most mud stains too. I think I paid $10-15 for a gallon the put it into a spray bottle.

Dish soap and towel to clean, then Meguiars (or someone else) vinyl polish to get the minor scratches out. I did mine and it was a huge difference.