• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clocking down a 208???? (Flame suit on)

slytowncrawler2

Do work son
Have a customer. He is trying to make the local bogg this weekend to blow off some steam with the kids.
He has a Muncie and 205 but we are not ready to swap in yet...... I planned on clocking his case down to help with front shaft bind, so he can go splash through the mud this weekend an have a good time. I have never done this before either up or down ... My question is. Is this as simple as pulling case an dropping a bolt hole??? I'm sure the case won't receive oil properly and the linkage will be off. Again this is for this weekend or until we can do Muncie an 205 swap. Thanks again for any input

slytowncrawler2 said:
Have a customer. He is trying to make the local bogg this weekend to blow off some steam with the kids.
He has a Muncie and 205 but we are not ready to swap in yet...... I planned on clocking his case down to help with front shaft bind, so he can go splash through the mud this weekend an have a good time. I have never done this before either up or down ... My question is. Is this as simple as pulling case an dropping a bolt hole??? I'm sure the case won't receive oil properly and the linkage will be off. Again this is for this weekend or until we can do Muncie an 205 swap. Thanks again for any input
I don't know anything about the mounting pattern of a 208 but if it had a round pattern and can be clocked turn it down and ride out won't hurt anything!

Seems like the bolts were evenly spaced, if I remember correctly. But, seems like when we rotated to the next bolt it rotated it way to far. Its been a while back so maybe that's correct. We wanted it flat and that clocking ring was the only way we found to make it happen.
As far as toughness of the case, he ran his with rockwells and 46's. Held up pretty good, but not a bouncer.

Oh, it'll send it up into the floor if you're clocking it up. Hes trying to clock it down for a mudtoy, dropping it an entire hole shouldn't be to much a problem on some thing like that.

throttlejunkie said:
Gotcha, I'm almost positive that the six bolt pattern on all transfer cases are asymmetrical, could be wrong. I can check mine in the am

I'm with you on this but I think they are close enough to where one or two holes can be wallowed out to be made to work.

This is what I had to do on an Atlas a long time ago to clock it up one bolt hole using the NP208 adapter on a TH350:

DSC00055.JPG

If its just for one weekend I would be inclined just skip that one bolt so long as the case doesn't leak through it.

muddinmetal said:
Don't 208s have chains? Meaning if they get too vertical or upside down that the bearings will get dry? Or is that just for 231s,241s, etc?

Yes they are chain drive but it'll sling enough oil up for offroad use! The chain will stretch or the case will break before it hurts the bearings from low oil volume.