• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cnc plasma table advice

gasman

I know a lot of you guys have or have been around quite a few plasma tables. So my question is what's the best table for a shop to use on a regular basis? I have been looking for awhile and I'm ready to buy. I have researched ALOT and like everything you get a bunch of different opinions. I am looking at both the plasma cam and burntables cutters. Does anyone have experience with either of these tables? Or have another table that you like better. I like the burntables pipe attachment and engraver cause they don't have to be setup separate to using the torch. Plasma cam takes 30 min to go from flat to pipe and the same to switch back,and has no engraver attachment. Any opinions or advice will be greatly appreciated on this subject. Thanks. Chad :dblthumb:

Torchmate, for their great customer service. There is also a 10% Pirate discount if you have been a member of Pirate for 12 months. Not published, you have to ask for it. If you forget, no deal!

What are you going to be making with it and how much are you actually going to run it?I have parts lazered out from one of my steel suppliers so cheap that it just wouldn't justify me ever paying what it cost to buy a table.But if you're actually going to be cutting almost everyday then maybe it's worth the expense???But from the torch mates I've seen run they looked like decent machines,

I am building me a new shop and I build buggies and started making some new swing arms and have been getting into the sxs stuff here lately also. And I have had a couple of mining shops ask about if I could cut parts for them also. Plus I'm always into building something and I like the idea of if I need it I will build it. There is always someone asking me to make them something and now that I have the money to purchase one I'm sure I can make it pay for it's self. And if not at least I'll have a kick ass plasma cutter to use for myself. I have a full time job so it will be used in the evenings and weekend projects not like a 8-10 hr day 5-6 day a week operation. Looking for one with the ability to do tubing,engraving,and even routing. My father inlaw has a portable band saw mill and a wood working shop,so it would be cool to do like silhouette cut outs and then router the wood and inlay with the metal cut outs for tables or benches and stuff like that. Make signs. Just little projects to make some extra cash. I should be able to get into a good setup for what I want for 15,000 to 20,000 dollars. Chad :dblthumb:

I've got a Torchmate. Gotta say its pretty bad ass, great support, etc.
Downside: Is their proprietary CAD bullshit, TMCAD. I dont have a problem cutting other peoples non-TMCAD files (.dxf), easy to import and toolpath. Its when you need someone to cut a part you designed in TMCAD on a non-TM platform, it just aint happening easy.
This has bit me multiple times now.

InDaShop said:
I've got a Torchmate. Gotta say its pretty bad ass, great support, etc.
Downside: Is their proprietary CAD bullshit, TMCAD. I dont have a problem cutting other peoples non-TMCAD files (.dxf), easy to import and toolpath. Its when you need someone to cut a part you designed in TMCAD on a non-TM platform, it just aint happening easy.
This has bit me multiple times now.

I also have the torchmate. When I use their software to cut draw and cut with it usaully screws up. When I use someone elses drawing is does great. :dunno:

I have the 4x4 Torchmate growth series with AVHC and I'm using a Hypertherm 45 on it. I have no complaints cause I cut everything myself so the Torchmate CAD not playing well with other systems doesn't bother me. Torchmate tech has always been great and was the main reason I went with them. I used the Pirate discount to when I bought my AVHC unit. I started with the 2x2 and upgraded to the 4x4. I would buy it again in a heartbeat as it has made me a lot of money and I get to make all my own stuff. I use mine for off-road fab and metal art. I hold a license with The University of Arkansas, Oklahoma Sooners, and Oklahoma State Cowboys to sell different types of metal art pieces featuring their mascots. I also rent a space in a high end flea market like place in a nearby city to sell my metal art pieces.

I went around about this for several months. Ended up getting a helluva deal on a used 4x10 Torchmate TM2. I was going to get the 4x4 growth table and it was going to cost me about $13K with a plasma. Ran across a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 plasma for cheap and got the table from a guy on Pirate. Drove 30 hrs roundtrip and I've now got double the table for half the price. I've paid the table off in less than a year and built 2 tube benders that's keeping me going. I do plan on upgrading to a hypertherm plasma (probably a 65) so that I can cut some 1/2" soon though. The Torchmate is a good setup but has limitations. I love mine and look to keep upgrading as time goes on.

After looking around for about 10 months it was a choice between TorchMate and DynaTorch. I ended up going with a 5' X 10' DynaTorch setup with a HyperTherm 1650. I use it 5-6 days a week and its been running about 3 years now with no problems.