• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coal vs Pellet Grills

paradisepwoffrd

I'm looking to get a new grill and recall a number of y'all be knowledgeable on them.

Have been mainly looking at Kamado style grills, but recently thought about entertaining a pellet cooker if it makes sense. Wanting something that's easy to get up to temp, maintains well, and last a long time.

I have a few smokers so that isnt my primary function, but would like a grill that can maintain 200deg up to 700deg for pizzas.

I'd like to stay budget minded but willing to spend more if it is worth the extra.

So, is there a pellet grill worth looking at, or am I going to waste my money?

For kamados, compare the big 3, BGE, KJ, & Primo. What makes one better than the other? & for cheaper budget, a mini big3 vs a Bubba Keg, Acorn, Louisiana Grill, weber, etc.?

Go pellet... Just because the company I work for builds pellet plants and the more demand, the better for us. :stir:

I've been eyeballing the pellet grills and believe that the next grill I buy will be one. I like the idea of being able to set a temp and it maintain it.

They both have their + and - . I've dealt with, sold, and cooked on both and they are both awesome.

Pellet is easy like gas can grill or smoke on it. As long as it's got pellets and is clean it's good to go. I cook mostly on pellets just due to being quick and easy. I've not tried pizza on a pellet grill though but I'm sure it would be good. Most pellet grilles will range in max temp from 450-600ish

The kamado style (ceramic) grills are my favorite. You simply cannot beat the flavor of anything cooked on hardwood charcoal imo . The downfall is the time in getting the temp right and having to watch it closely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Buy the kamado joe 10 years old and still looks new ,pellet grills are easier to use and temp is easier to use ,but if you like rare steaks at 700° kamado ..I've had a ton of green eggs on my charter boat .my local ace shop talked me into the kamado joe glad he did stainless hardware,and multi racks and easy to clean unlike the egg...Buy a blower fan set it 3 feet away and open the cap ,10 min. later ready to go

I use pellets with one if my smoker, so I am familiar with them, but my main concern was the grill itself not lasting as long. Esp if I'm going to have to spend $1k for a good one and it lady no longer than my current stainless gas grill.

I've heard the traegers were junk, atleast the smaller/cheaper ones.

I have looked all all the different Kamado and like the Joe because of the cleaning aspect.

I am not sold that they cook much better than an Akorn, which is much cheaper?

Look at a Hasty Bake, grills, smokes and bakes all in one. Uses lump charcoal for fuel, no gadgets fans or any other BS. I've had mine 5 or 6 years, still looks and works like new and I use it at least once a week.

Pellet grills are great. While you're buying pellets, buy some duct tape so you can tape your manhood away and call yourself Susan. :dblthumb:

All joking aside, pellet grills are fantastic for someone who wants easy and versatile, but that's about it. The ones I have used did not heat up any quicker and were by no means more efficient. I use a green egg for everything but am fixing to build an insulated reverse flow cooker and between those two I will never need anything else. I think quick and easy bbq cookers make cooking quick and easy but just don't think they give an authentic new flavore. All that being said, Traeger or Smoking Brothers are both good grills. It isnless the cook chamber and more the feeding mechanism that makes those two good coolers.

To speed up my egg, I use a heat gun. It works and can have me ready to cook in 20 minutes. Mine is the Harbour freight brand.

I bought a green egg because all my friends with the traegers said the are all the time working on the pellet feed Camp Chef also makes a pellet grill that looks pretty good don't know anyone that has one I have one of their 36 inch flat top grills and love it the trick to a Egg or Kamando type is learning how to control the temp they are very sensitive to air flow with good charcoal you can be ready to cook in 10-15 minutes once settled mine will hold temp all night if doing a long cook look online at ceramicgrillstore.com they have lots of accessories for the Egg and Kamando depending on your style of cooking cleaning is no big deal I only clean mine out every 5-6 cooks depending on how many ashes are in it the Eggs are very efficient burning

I have an older traeger I inherited from my father in law. I'm still wanting to get a true fire box smoker because I don't feel I'm actually smoking the meats now. It is handy for reverse searing and so on because you can writhing 10 min go from 165deg to 450 just by turning a dial. I've done ribs, pork tenderloins, and tri tip so far. My wife said the tri tip was some of the best food she has ever had.

I have a Primo and I love it. I hated it at first because it was a learning curve on getting it going and up-to-temp correctly. I also learned that it can vary by the drywood charcoal you use. Some get hot fast, and then too hot, some get hot slower but typically hold a better temp.

I'd do it again for sure. The flavor is impossible to beat.

However, if I had to do it again, I'd pay more for the big one. My dad has one, and it allows him to have a hot and not-so-hot zone. So if he needs to slow something down, he can move it over a section that isn't lit and while it will cook and stay hot, it won't cook as fast. Mine is so small, everything is hot, and you better have your temps and zones down right or one steak will be done before the other if the charcoal opens up and creates a hot pocket.

Other than that, my Primo has a lifetime warranty and the only issues I have had was because the sucker got too hot once when I wasn't paying attention. (alcohol) and the interior part that is removable cracked. They sent me a new one no questions asked.

I am a fan of the Kamadoe grills, I have two kamadoe Joes and a BGE , They all work great but the Joe comes with more for the price and both have Lifetime warranties.

The only downside I could see the to ceramic one at Home Depot was the size and shape would make it impossible to find accessories for it. Other than that it looks really nice.

Check out baby back maniac on YouTube he bought a MAC pellet smoker and it looks impressive to me