• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coil, Igniter and regulator on 80' toy

Cole1

So im in the process of rewiring my 1980 toyota and im stumped on what to do about the coil, igniter assemble and the voltage regulator. I want to by pass them and I was wondering If I used a universal coil with a built in voltage regulator if that would do the trick. Im starting fresh with the harness and pretty much its going to be a bare bones harness with just what Ineed to run the truck.

I just want to see if my thinking is right or if anyone has anyother suggestions on how to eliminate the reg and igniter from the system.

Thanks, Chris

keep the igniter and coil maybe

ditch the regulator.

Im not to sharp on the first gen stuff (first gen wiring is junk, I never had an interest in fixing 1st gen wiring)

But an all the loose carbed engines I test fire I use a second gen dist and coil/igniter assembly. It only needs power and ground to run. Kinda like a GM HEI.

Then throw that ****in garbage toyota alternator in the trash and put a GM 1 wire on it.

Now it will run and charge. The rest can be hashed however you want.

keep the igniter and coil maybe

ditch the regulator.

Im not to sharp on the first gen stuff (first gen wiring is junk, I never had an interest in fixing 1st gen wiring)

But an all the loose carbed engines I test fire I use a second gen dist and coil/igniter assembly. It only needs power and ground to run. Kinda like a GM HEI.

Then throw that ****in garbage toyota alternator in the trash and put a GM 1 wire on it.

Now it will run and charge. The rest can be hashed however you want.

Yeah I remember talking to you about the dist and coil off a second gen but i forgot what it eliminated from my wiring. I really like the simplicity of HEI chevy with out the stupid igniter.

Back in the day I ran my msd box with just the stock dist/pickup assy.

You can also use a GM ignition module inplace of the stock igniter.

Back in the day I ran my msd box with just the stock dist/pickup assy.

You can also use a GM ignition module inplace of the stock igniter.

Crash do you have any links to the parts you used? Any suggestions on what msd box and igniter module to use?

an HEI ignition requires three things, a distributor, a coil, and a module.

Toyta calls their module an IGNITER

GM calls their igniter a MODULE.

Get it?

You arent gaining anything by adding in MSD or GM components just complicating things.

You just need the right toyota coil and igniter and you will be fine.

Ill try to dig around and find one, maybe.

an HEI ignition requires three things, a distributor, a coil, and a module.

Toyta calls their module an IGNITER

GM calls their igniter a MODULE.

Get it?

You arent gaining anything by adding in MSD or GM components just complicating things.

You just need the right toyota coil and igniter and you will be fine.

Ill try to dig around and find one, maybe.

Actually the GM module is less complicated and cheaper plus 90% of all parts stores carry's them on the shelf. Plus when not encased in a distributor there longevity is greatly increased due to far less heat absorption.

The MSD too is fairly simple but will require a tach adapter if you wish to run a stock 1st gen tach. They are though harder on secondary ignition components but offer a greater burn.

Actually the GM module is less complicated and cheaper plus 90% of all parts stores carry's them on the shelf. Plus when not encased in a distributor there longevity is greatly increased due to far less heat absorption.

The MSD too is fairly simple but will require a tach adapter if you wish to run a stock 1st gen tach. They are though harder on secondary ignition components but offer a greater burn.

Module
Ignitor
MSD

they all do the same function, right?

Multiple Spark Discharge :awesomework:

My thinking of going for the msd box was napa said its $400 for a new stock toyota igniter and im having a hard time finding one for my truck. Like Crash said i could get parts at any parts store for the ignition set up if I go that route.

Last edited: