• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coil over shock specs?????

I know that there is no generic setup numbers im just trying to gather info on what others have done so i know a close range to start with so im not sinking a bunch of money in to springs that i wont use

Neal3000 said:
I'm in the process of changing my springs now, and i bet my sprung weight is pretty close to your cabtruck, i have the same drivetrain. On the front I just put on 150/200 with 1" of preload 200 psi of Nitrogen and i've got 7.75" showing at ride height, i'm looking to get down to 6ish though, so i've got a softer top spring on the way.

Neal3000 did you ever get any weight of your rig or you just tuning through trial an error?
Iv talked with a couple guys with rigs weight at 5000 lbs who are running valving at 80/50 but I think that's a little much on the top end so that is why I was figuring 75/50.

My rig has tons/reds, when i said same drivetrain i meant engine/trans....

My shims are top secret :flipoff1: i just put in whatever Wayne sends me

Ok, guess next big question what is the best coil over shocks to buy that will hold up and take a good beating but not kill the bank account?????

jfwelding said:
Ok, guess next big question what is the best coil over shocks to buy that will hold up and take a good beating but not kill the bank account?????

I'd look at FOX or RADFLO for quality budget coilover

I was already looking at FOX shocks but im trying to really make my mind up between 2.0 or 2.5's

Whats eveyones take on this? I know that weight of the rig has alot to do with this choice and so does type of driving style

Re: Re: Re: Coil over shock specs?????

jfwelding said:
I was already looking at FOX shocks but im trying to really make my mind up between 2.0 or 2.5's

Whats eveyones take on this? I know that weight of the rig has alot to do with this choice and so does type of driving style
Its not really weight dependent. If you are doing endurance racing then 2.5, but hill blasting or trail riding, 2.0.

I asked Wayne Iseral (shock person on pirate) if koh could be ran with just 2.5 with reserves. He said yes. When you got back in the rocks they will cool down. Coilovers aren't being worked until cant touch the reserve without being burnt like exhaust.

Springs and nitrogen hold the weight, and vavling dictates the stroke.

I don't know about nitrogen supporting weight in coilovers…..air shocks maybe, but not coilovers. Does a nitrogen filled shock absorber you run on a leaf spring rig support any weight? No….same deal with coilovers. The shock body itself does 2 things. Dampen the ride and is a carrier for the coil springs. Springs support all the weight.

TacomaJD said:
I don't know about nitrogen supporting weight in coilovers…..air shocks maybe, but not coilovers. Does a nitrogen filled shock absorber you run on a leaf spring rig support any weight? No….same deal with coilovers. The shock body itself does 2 things. Dampen the ride and is a carrier for the coil springs. Springs support all the weight.

Wrong again fawker :flipoff1:
You can change coilover Ride height 2-3 inches with nitrogen. I just put triple bypasses on the back of my rig and the combined effect of the extra nitrogen has got my rig sitting up 4 extra inches, looks like a freaking monster truck :****:

Re: Re: Re: Coil over shock specs?????

TacomaJD said:
I don€™t know about nitrogen supporting weight in coilovers€..air shocks maybe, but not coilovers. Does a nitrogen filled shock absorber you run on a leaf spring rig support any weight? No€.same deal with coilovers. The shock body itself does 2 things. Dampen the ride and is a carrier for the coil springs. Springs support all the weight.

You are still displacing internal volume with the shock shaft, just on coilovers or regular shocks the shaft is a lot smaller and therefore a much smaller reduction of volume (compression...) Inside the shocks.

On the 2.0 remote res Profenders I ran on my racin toyota , there was about 1" ride height difference in 100 vs 200 psi.

They had a large shaft for a 2" shock, like 7/8

Re: Re: Coil over shock specs?????

When I got my coilovers in, I could collapse them with my hands....then let go and the nitrogen charge would slowly push the shaft back out. If standard charge on a fox 2.0 emulsion coilover is 200 psi, seems like you would have to put a shitload in a coilover before ride height is affected. I'm talking standard run of the mill emulsion coilovers, not diddlying up with all the fancy triple bypasses and whatnot. With an air shock, if it's fully extended, you can put all your weight on the shock by itself and barely move the shaft at all. And I think a general psi standard for air shocks usually doesn't exceed 350 ish. So how much psi addition to coilovers are you talking about before it starts affecting ride height?

Re:

In my kings 2.5 I ran 200psi. The psi should be measure with no weight on the shock. Also the bleed holes will also affect body roll, compression, and rebound.

Sounds like your shocks weren't charged, with 200 in mine i can out all my weight on them with no springs and they barely move

Re:

Hmmm....maybe Angryfab put N20 in em and they are right now? It was hard but I could compress em for sure and the shaft would slowly come out to extend full length. Who knows. Wrong again and learned something new. Lol

Still hard to grasp. If N20 has that much effect on on supporting weight in emulsion c/o's, why did they also make an (unsuccessful) line of air shock coilovers? I need a N20 charging setup so I can play with my shocks and learn more about this.

In my limited experience, air shocks and emulsion foxes are almost identical. The difference being the monster shaft in an air shock makes the displacement effect more pronounced.

If you look at an emulsion CO, as the piston travels in, oil is displaced by the volume of the shaft. This compresses the nitrogen charge. Just like an air shock.

Re: Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
Hmmm....maybe Angryfab put N20 in em and they are right now? It was hard but I could compress em for sure and the shaft would slowly come out to extend full length. Who knows. Wrong again and learned something new. Lol

Still hard to grasp. If N20 has that much effect on on supporting weight in emulsion c/o's, why did they also make an (unsuccessful) line of air shock coilovers? I need a N20 charging setup so I can play with my shocks and learn more about this.

The air shock coilover was an attempt to add a bump zone or extra progressive spring rate to a coilover.
In the end I think it just combined most of the "bad" traits of coilovers and air shocks.

TacomaJD said:

If you have coilovers there is a setpoint for nitrogen. Dont change it. Change out shims. Even in a non racing environment tuning will affect things all day. They can push you off your line because the shim pack is too thick or wide which affect flow rate. Better off buying a shim pack and experimenting. Go lighter than what you have and see what it does and so on. Close some of the bleed holes.

Mortalis5509 said:
If you have coilovers there is a setpoint for nitrogen. Dont change it. Change out shims. Even in a non racing environment tuning will affect things all day. They can push you off your line because the shim pack is too thick or wide which affect flow rate. Better off buying a shim pack and experimenting. Go lighter than what you have and see what it does and so on. Close some of the bleed holes.

I was meaning to see the difference in physics, like "Oh, well I'll be damned, 200 psi in this thing and I can't collapse it now like I could when I first got them" Not for tuning purposes. I've heard both that there is a set point of what your N20 level should be in a coilover and I've heard some say that N20 levels is also a key point in tuning also. Of course valving is. Valving on my shocks are 50/70, I wish that was backwards and had a little more comporession dampening...I may play with the valve stacks one day, but for now, it's working great for my wheeling style.

pachary said:
In my limited experience, air shocks and emulsion foxes are almost identical. The difference being the monster shaft in an air shock makes the displacement effect more pronounced.

If you look at an emulsion CO, as the piston travels in, oil is displaced by the volume of the shaft. This compresses the nitrogen charge. Just like an air shock.

I understand fully now. Well put. I was certainly wrong.

JD, in talking to people it seems that the 50/70 valving would be more appropriate for the "old" spring theory when heavier springs were being used. Now that the norm seems to be lighter springs, the 50/70 foes seem to be backwards. At least it is on my rig.