• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coil over shock specs?????

pachary said:
Don't be scared to play with shims. Look at the videos. It is really that easy.

I've already went through every article and vid I could find on how to tear down and swap shim stacks on air shocks back when I was fawking with the ones on the rear of my rig. Should be basically same process for revalving c/o's. Never did it though because when I swapped to 2.5 air shocks, it done much better....but I'm confident that I could swap them out no problem and may do it one day. C/o's on the front does pretty good, nowhere near bad enough to warrant fooling with it right now. I have a couple other issues that need to be addressed before shock valving. (steering and brakes)

jfwelding said:
Iv talked with a couple differnt people and thank you all for the input.
This is what iv come up with so far and this is not knowing the weight of the buggy, please feel free to give your all opinions

16'' travel shocks running a 16" top spring with 18" lower spring

spring rate 175 top / 200 lower or 150 top / 175 lower

VALVING AROUND 75 / 50

That's why i said valving 75 / 50 but i might consider 75 / 55 with around 180 psi charge of nitrogen.

After talking with several fox dealers and techs the reason they are shipped with 200 psi of nitrogen is to seat the seals and valves they say adjust the the nitrogen psi as needed. They told me that a good starting range to charge them to off the rig is around 170-180 psi and tune them from there with the weight of the rig on the shocks, especially after driving it around and cycling the shocks.

What exactly does the 50/50 or whatever numbers you want to use mean, which is softer or harder Im pretty sure that I ordered mine 60/40 and 50/50 but I would have to go back to my notes and see.

For FOX the first number is compression and the second number is rebound. Goes from I think 30-90 or so on the chart. I don't know if the numbers have actual significance or are just comparative.

The #'s listed are for compression and rebound meaning how much resistance to movement the shock has. The shim stack in the shock has to deflect as the shock moves. Think of how a deck of playing cards bend when you shuffle the deck.
Now if you have a #30 shim stack, all the shims are .008" thick, a #90 shim stack they are .015 thick. The thicker the shim the more it force it takes to move it.
The stack can be made up to whatever is wanted in between.

The way FOX listed their shims. If you do order a shim stack, I suggest ordering a 30, 50, or 70 stack. Having those you can make up anything in between line a 45, 60 etc.
Also note that is you have a compression stack that matches the # you need for rebound you can just remove the largest diameter shim and you now have what you need for a rebound stack.
Here are a couple good spots to explain much better than I can.

(http://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_valving.htm) (http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/20_SERIES_VALVING_SPECS.pdf )

Elliott said:
Im pretty sure that I ordered mine 60/40 and 50/50 but I would have to go back to my notes and see.

The #s should be engraved on the seal carrier of the shock. Look right where the shock shaft goes into the body near the wiper seal.

I spent most of yesterday talking with shock techs and vendors and while doing this i spoke with Jarrod at Big Shocks and he said for my application he could hook me up with the exact valving and spring rate to make my ride what im after. He did say that the corner weights are critical to obtaining the correct spring rate and total weight is very helpfull for valving also. Take a look at these shocks im sure it could be a very good deal for alot of us. I can get the emulsion coil over non res shocks for the front of my rig with the springs i want and the valving im desiring for $861.21 shipped to my door. Figured that is a good deal for a 2.25 shock with 1" diameter shaft.

http://www.bigshocks.com/emulsion-225.html

I am suspicious of anyone that tells you the can set you up with exactly what you need.

The factories' techs are even wushu washy about actual setups. You will get a starting point.

pachary said:
I am suspicious of anyone that tells you the can set you up with exactly what you need.

The factories' techs are even wushu washy about actual setups. You will get a starting point.

x2 Just a sales pitch.

I would not go with a no name coil over. There is much more to them than a shaft and tube. Go with a name brand, and from a shop that will assist you with spring selection, and one the will allow you to return undamaged springs if too stiff or soft. There are many good vendors, but I would use Wide Open Design or Essentially Offroad. Both vendors are in Murfreesboro, TN.

Re:

I think Dale Larsen runs those "Big Shocks" on his bouncer. I've met a few guys that ran them and I've always kinda blown them off but I was watching a YouTube video of them flipping Dales rig over and pretty sure that's what he was running.

I have priced the fox shocks and have come no where near that price of big shocks for what im wanting. I also know several rigs running big shocks that are way heavier than any rock buggy and abuse them far beyond what a crawler will do, im talking rigs weighing over 10k lbs jumping big air and running hill n hole racing. I know people will tell you they can get em setup the way you want and i know when its all sales pitch mojo but from doing more research and talking with guys who have actually bought and ran bigshocks have said the exact same thing that what they orded is exactly what they got from the valving to the springs rate. If i can get fox shocks for better price im all for it but iv yet to find em. I have found FOA coilovers for $650 shipped to my door for a pair set up close to the way im after but iv gotten mixed opinions on FOA coilovers. I really would love to see some crawlers running eigther bigshocks or foa to see how well they function.

Ok I am late to this but, what is the correct way to weigh sprung corner weight? I was thinking pull the shock off, put the upper bolt back in, hang my 500lb deer scale on said bolt, hook my engine hoist to the other end and just raise buggy back up to ride height and see where it comes to? It is a pretty light tube buggy so i wouldn't think it would max my scale. anyway... :gtfo: or :wtflol: I want to get my suspension better, its on 2.0 Fox air shox now but I found a NIB set of FOA reservoir 2.0 coilovers on the cheap and was curious.

jfwelding said:
I have priced the fox shocks and have come no where near that price of big shocks for what im wanting. I also know several rigs running big shocks that are way heavier than any rock buggy and abuse them far beyond what a crawler will do, im talking rigs weighing over 10k lbs jumping big air and running hill n hole racing. I know people will tell you they can get em setup the way you want and i know when its all sales pitch mojo but from doing more research and talking with guys who have actually bought and ran bigshocks have said the exact same thing that what they orded is exactly what they got from the valving to the springs rate. If i can get fox shocks for better price im all for it but iv yet to find em. I have found FOA coilovers for $650 shipped to my door for a pair set up close to the way im after but iv gotten mixed opinions on FOA coilovers. I really would love to see some crawlers running eigther bigshocks or foa to see how well they function.

Have you called EOR? :dunno:

Well i did call EOR and WOD and got prices on the coil overs fox 2.0 emulsions and all i can is they are really knowledgeble guys but OUCH...... on price, looking $900-$1000 just for 2 coil overs shipped to my door setup ready to go. Im on a tight budget same as alot of guys

Well thats the prices i was quoted right over the phone for a pair of 2.0 fox emulsion coil overs

EOR $425 each + $50 sh = $900

WOD $450 each + $40 sh = $940

Down South Motor Sports $456. each free shipping = $912