• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coil spring question?

bronc67

I got a '67 bronco and im tryin 4 link the rear of it with coil springs. So my question is what coil springs should I use or what spring rate would be suitable. There is basically nothing in the back of it but roll cage and a fuel tank, the bed and all that is cut out. Oh and the rear axle is a ford 9. Thanks

Really need to know the weight of the rear of your rig, and its intended use before anyone can recommend anything...even then it's still a guess-as one's suggestion may be too soft, and the next not soft enough...

hell, id start with some Heep coils, as its similar size, weight.. ect.
if they are too soft, get some progressive rate U100 coils

Gotcha. Well thanks, I was lookin at some Heep TJ rear coils and thinkin about tryin those out. So, maybe I'll give that a shot.

xj rear coils

I used 6" lift XJ coild on my toyota truggy. It flexed very well for just guessing on the coils, all i had was cage and gas tank right behind cab. I would definately start there. Should work very well. Also is it strictly offroad, or both. That may make a difference in choics. May want a stabilizer bar if using it on the street.

Since I kinda ****ed up this thread, I'll add some tech.

You can get your spring rate dialed in, here is a chart telling you how to calculate a spring rate of both a coil and a leaf spring.
180518_188261487860993_100000314301973_510825_6335305_n.jpg

Dear Damnyankee;
Our friend, Bronc67 is making a serious inquiry, therefore why don't you backyard mechanics back off of from this topic and let a professional take care of things? Thank you.
Your friend;
LAMAR

this makes it hard not to bite.

bronk67, sorry for the hijack.
the xj idea isn't bad, but if you don't have a cage, or run a hard top.. i think they may be too stiff, but worth a try if you can get a free or cheap set
:beer:

Alright well I appreciate all the responses relevant or not:redneck:. Thanks for the chart boardbysled. I think I'm gonna give the TJ's a try I got a buddy who's got a set, at least that will be a starting point.

FYI, i have a set of liniar rate 5" lift EB coils that i would let go pretty cheap, they have seen about 4 runs.. then i went back to the duel rate.