• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

coil springs on a tube buggy or....

midsouthfab

"Another day in Paradise"
For those that have full tube buggies, truggies, juggies, etc... and are running coil springs with a 4 link , 3 link or even a 1 link front and/or rear suspension. What coils springs are you running and throw in your shock setup as well. Also what made you go with coils as opposed to airshocks or coilovers other than price or was that the only reason? Just curous as we find that a good set up crawls and flexes as good or better than just about anything else, we just give up some control on the power stuff. Thanks

I personally like coil springs and good shocks, the issue I think becomes more effecient packaging for most chassis especially when you get into tight small rigs. Plus the fab time to retain coil's and or tabs/ bracket systems cost a good bit.

I wouldnt be opposed to running them personally if that is what my budget lead me towards. Packaging and weight savings ( plus cost... ) a little bling but not outta reach $$ wise is what put me on the air shocks.

If you can keep your sprung weight under control, 2" airshocks are so cheap, they are the way to go because of their simplicity.

Coils are superior to leaf springs but packaging them sucks ass.

I definately agree with both the above posts, what are your thought purely based on a performance standpoint? Also weight was mentioned with the airshocks in everyones opinion how heavy is too heavy for them?

midsouthfab said:
I definately agree with both the above posts, what are your thought purely based on a performance standpoint? Also weight was mentioned with the airshocks in everyones opinion how heavy is too heavy for them?

Heavy is hard to define.

I would say that anything with a body is too heavy for 2.0 airshocks unless it is a Sammi.

Tube it out and make it look like a typical SE buggy and it will probably be too heavy for airshocks.

Keep it conservative and 2.0's will be nice.

ok , here a question what does the typical SE buggy weigh, the ones that have been featured in CRAWL Mag with there weights listed I'm not buying what was listed. My junk weighs 4080lbs. without me in it and most of those buggys have more tube, bigger tube, bigger tires, etc.... so shold be alot heavier. A buddy has a buggy built similar to a typical SE buggy, big block, toploaders, 47's alot of tube and his weighed 5600 ish what gives on the weights listed? Someone just make them up or guess?

midsouthfab said:
ok , here a question what does the typical SE buggy weigh, the ones that have been featured in CRAWL Mag with there weights listed I'm not buying what was listed. My junk weighs 4080lbs. without me in it and most of those buggys have more tube, bigger tube, bigger tires, etc.... so shold be alot heavier. A buddy has a buggy built similar to a typical SE buggy, big block, toploaders, 47's alot of tube and his weighed 5600 ish what gives on the weights listed? Someone just make them up or guess?

I do not believe alot of the weights that are listed in the mags.

I love the idea on coils on a tube buggy. I was looking at running stock TJ Coils on my buggy but due to space and preformance requirments they would not work. I do feel that coils in some crawling situations are much more stable. However if you want to do any high speed stuff or like a C.O.T. ride they are not the way to go.

On the wieght I feel that it is hard to judge in some cases. My full bodied jeep only wieghed 3600LBS with a v8,atuo 60's and 39's. This is what it wieghed with everything that carried on the trails. However I never carried any spares in the rig with me. I have no radio,No CB,No drink holders and only a small tool box with the basics. My point is that most Full bodied jeep guys carry a TON of **** so everyone thinks that a full bodied jeep should be heavy. My point is that the same holds true for buggies. Not evey guy build everything out of 1/4 plate or every tube out of .12 wall. Some go bigger and some go smaller. Just my .002 :flipoff1:

midsouthfab said:

You need to think about the unsprung weight when you are settin up for springs or airshocks.

To give an example, my buggy uses stock xj coils on all 4 corners, it works well for my set-up with the shocks I have. Springs are built on a slider system to give more droop when needed. We have a buddy with a typical buggy sbc,atlas, airshocks. mogs and 42s that I can generally out perform in every area, including way more flex. Now I am not trying to say coils are better than the alternatives in any case for that matter, and my buggy is not a low dollar effort by any means, just looking for more opinions and a little debate action here! LOL

InDaShop said:
I guess I'm confused on why you have the "TinBenders" logo for your Avatar?

Actually I found it on another site that said click here to download this avavtar, and yes I know this avatar is used on pirate by "many" and others use it on various sits as well, I don't think it is copywrited! I simply think it is pretty cool! I mean I guess if it bothers you I can make my own or use aonther one???? WTF :dunno:

I didn't think he was either. I know who the tinbenders are, even chat with a few from time to time. I was.just geting my daily dose of sarcasm in nothin meant by it :dunno: