• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover Springs Tech and Swap

87yjtoy

I am respringing the front suspension on my buggy & based on the cornerweights & all the other stuff on Billavista's calculator I need some different
springs. Sooooo I am looking for the following pairs 12 X 2.50 X 140 and 14 X 2.50 X 200 if you have some thing close i might like to try them.
Whatcha got ????

Thanks

Re: Coilover Springs

I have a set of like new of 14" 300 lbs... Ill horse trade with you if you wanna flirt with em or whatever man. I dont have C/O's anymore and they are just chilling in the boxes. thumb.gif

Dont know if you care or not but they are Eibach's and they were used for setup and never wheeled on. So yea, they are red. laughing1

Pat I would try to bump up the bottoms and lighten up the tops. Those rates are very close to each other, so you are not getting much out of the dual rate setup. I would try a 275 or 300 lower and a 80-100 upper. I have always tried to set people up like that and that is what Jimmy did with my springs also

P said:
I have a set of like new of 14" 300 lbs... Ill horse trade with you if you wanna flirt with em or whatever man. I dont have C/O's anymore and they are just chilling in the boxes. thumb.gif

I have two sets of 14" 300 lb springs, Eibach, used in the boxes, wanna trade? laughing1

right now I have a set of 14\200s on the way have in hand a set of 14\150s and 12\100s
the springs on the buggy now are 12\175s and 14\350s.
I am thinking of running the 150 over 200 to see what that does then yes P I would like to get the 300s & try them under the 100s
got all my corner weights figured tonite. 3680 total 640 sprung on the front & 430 sprung on the rear.

After I get the springs sorted out probably work on the valving. right now its std setup at 40/60 in the front.
thinking that maybe reversing the settings might be better?

Maybe this should be in the tech section? Move it if yall think so.

Later

If you'd like Pat, shoot me your address and you can try these out. I've been keeping them around for this exact reason, setup and trying out different rate's.

Pat, 40-60 is a pretty good valving for all around use. Is it too firm or too lose for you? I would not go any stiffer on compression valving (40), you could play with the rebound though.

175/350 spring setup is stupid stiff for a right that is 4k. I would go with a max of 300lb on the lowers and try 100 or less on the top spring. I think that will net you a nice ride. Call or email me if you need any help.

Matt what is on the rear of your? I got a couple springs and I think we are gonna have to add some to Kim and Droops buggy when we get the spare on there. I think it is 100 over 250 right now. Had 200's on the bottom and they settled out so we just stuck the 250's on.

Toddy

My rear is kinda odd, Jimmy could not get it to act like he wanted by going lighter, so he went 80/300 and it works. Front is 100/300. My corner weights are almost 1000 each in the front and 700's in the rear

I typed wrong on my weight in the other post. Total is 3680... fixed the other post also. But you are right about it being stiff.

My corner weights are front 1050 per side and 775 per side rear. those above weights are Sprung wieghts.

PMs coming at you P.

as far as the valving, its hard to say BC the springs are so stiff. so I will wait untill I get the springs sorted out before really worrying about the valveing.

Also I'm running air shocks on the rear so I really havent thought much about them.. so as far as I know ther have std amount of oil & 180PSI in them now. Just first thoughts were to check the amount of oil in them & adjust that & psi A little more oil & less psi what do yall think?

I had my air shocks apart a million times it seemed. I would start saving for co's if I were you. I would check Poly or Fox and find out what they ship with oil wise. Different based on travel of the shock. Also find out what the max oil is. I would then add about 30-40 ml to them over stock shipped oil. Air shocks always seemed to travel too fast on mine and I could never slow them down. But your are right, more oil and less n2 will help some. You are not very heavy in the back so they should do OK, but CO's would be better.

Your front corner weights are really close to mine. I think a 100/300 will make you much happier, maybe even lower on the top spring like a 90 or 80. Coilovers are tricky, lots of variables. Like the adjustable spring stops on the shafts, make a huge difference in ride, because it allows you to send when the springs transition. I know a good bit on CO's, but there are still things that confuse the **** out of me on them.

Yea thats another thing on this setup. The stop for the transition only had 1/2 " of travel before the slider hit the stop. So almost no initial rate.
Fixed that already.

I should have started looking at this stuff a long time ago but I thought that it would be worked out by the previous owners. And they probably thought like i did that it was tuned some. So I will do alot of this stuff next week & try to do some testing in the dirt pit up the road. Can do about 3 miles of high speed stuff there and climb some banks. Not that I am looking for the high speed stuff but at least I will know.

I might borrow the 80# coils off of Carls buggy & see what that does...

Thanks for all the input.

Ok I spent most of the day saturday playing with the springs.. first measured the height & shafts from the orginal setup.
next use my makeshift ramp. & flexed it out. Started by swapping on the 100 over 300 set. Man is soo much better than it was.
During this I found that the rear limit strap was to short. It would not let the shocks extend all the way. So the easiest solution was to
Make an extension bracket to add the length I needed to get full travel on the rear shocks. Now this thing flexs great. Dave Came over &
drove it around some He liked it alot also. So for comparison I got Carls Twisted buggy & flexed it out on the ramp. I know that it is all seat of the pants feel but I like it just as much as I like Carls, Very stable on the ramp & very predictable about when it gets tippy feeling.
Dave said he felt more comfortable in my buggy than in Carls. We'll see how that pans out at the Hammers

I thought this might still be too stiff so I swapped to a set of 200 lowers. They were too soft so I put a set of 150s over the 200s that was pretty close to the first set up but was still too soft after the slider hit the rate stop. Went back to the 100/300 set up.

This lower the front of the rig 2" & I thought about lowering the PSI on the air shocks to lower the rear but it is still pretty level so I left it.

I tride so much better now just trailriding in the dirt pit by the house, so I think that I will try this for a while. Probably get some other opinions out in Cali but this is how it will be out there to start with.

So P I guess we need to work out a $ on the springs. Thanks

good to hear that worked out for you. I will be doing some testing with other spring rates here soon as well. I think my lowers are too stiff for the current setup I have. I am going to be changing the links around a bit and adding a sway bar, so I think I can get a little softer rate and not have that crazy body lean that I have currently. MattO helped me out on my current rates and they work well, keeping the body from just floppin around like before, but the ride seems harsh going across whoops/bumps. seems that everyone has the bug to go fast and have a ride of a caddy.....damn KOH makin me spend money and I am not even goin!! :****: :driving:

Cool Pat, I told you you would like those rates way better. I am glad you enjoy the new ride! Also a lot of harsh ride depends on the speed you are going also. Mine is kinda rough going about 10-15 over some whoops, but at 30 it is way better. There is always a comprimise to be had, you could probably tune coilovers forever and never be 100% happy. Glad you are happier now though thumb.gif