• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover up travel?

Bj mac

What's a good up travel number that everyone tries to shoot for? Front and rear. I'm running 16 in coil overs all the way around.

Re: Re: Coilover up travel?

From the research I did when I did mine was for racing rigs 50/50 of for crawlers 75/25

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I got 14's and we set them up at 7 on all four corners.
It depends on what there on, and what your doing with it.
Mine are on a 99 jeep tj, used for daily driver and crawler.

There goin on an all tube buggy with rockwells. I not trying to build a full out bouncer. I'd like to have the best of both worlds.

I have a full tube, rockwell buggy and it's set up 50/50. Flexes great and bounces good as well.
DSC09266copy_zpscabfaf18.jpg

Bet he has 50% shaft showing. The rest of the travel is used up on flex. At least that is how mine is.

Bump travel = both sides of the axle moving up at the same time
flex travel = one side up and one side down.

The axle will pivot around the bump stop a little when flexing. Or atleast thats my take on it.

Re: Re: Re: Coilover up travel?

TBItoy said:
His shocks may have more "flex travel" than "bump travel".

If that makes sense

It does, i set up my old front axle/suspension that way, i hated that compromise though......this time i'm going for full bump travel and hoping that i don't take any shock blowing hits at full articulation

Ok so something like 8 in. I was goin to run 7 in the rear and 6 in the front. With four in bumps with 2" before hitting the bump

Get you some 2" bumps or your bumps are going to fight your Valving in your coilovers. Meaning that there is a difference in the Valving you need if you were compressing just your coil overs or compressing a coil over and a bump. It will make it a little easier to tune the coil overs for regular use and only using the bumps for what their intended for ( slowing the suspension down when its getting bottomed out).You can make it work with it always riding on the bumps, but if you give it more clearance by using 2" bumps it's just a little easier.Just something to think about.

Elliott said:
Get you some 2" bumps or your bumps are going to fight your Valving in your coilovers. Meaning that there is a difference in the Valving you need if you were compressing just your coil overs or compressing a coil over and a bump. It will make it a little easier to tune the coil overs for regular use and only using the bumps for what their intended for ( slowing the suspension down when its getting bottomed out).You can make it work with it always riding on the bumps, but if you give it more clearance by using 2" bumps it's just a little easier.Just something to think about.
Yea thanks for the info. This is all new to me.

50% of your uptravel or less is the rule of thumb for bumpstops, most everyone is going for less (like 25%) these days it seems like