• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Colej ejecashun

Mechanical Engineer here

a large portion of ME's are sucked up into jobs relating to the mass production of products. What no one tells you about these jobs is how unimaginably boring they are.

Did anybody else first read the title as cole ejaculation I sure did and seem 5bros posted it and wasn't what I was expecting. Lol. I have nothing to add but props for wanting to improve your and your families life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if your near a military base but, its not a bad gig at all. Pays good and you have plenty of time off. You could start out as a Heavy Mobile Equipment mechanic. That`s not like a mechanic job in town what so ever. I promise it can be a damn good career. www.USAJOBs.com

Have you applied for shop manager at murrah motorsports world headquarters? If you can deal with the constant sexual harassment from the owner it might be worth looking into. From the pics of the shop I've seen, that place is a real dumpster fire.

Mike, in all seriousness do what is going to make you want to go to work everyday. I wine and bitch about my employees and the hours I work but I do enjoy it and I feel like this is what I'm supposed to be doing and that rolls over huge into my personal well being. Don't just chase money, go after a career that you find interesting. I can offer you no help on what to do except, don't buy carnival equipment.

blacksheep10 said:
Have you looked at other engineering fields? I still kick myself daily for not getting my ME.
My ME buddies tell me that Civil Engineers, were ME majors that couldn't cut the math :dunno:

I've floated around a lot of these industries through primary or side employment. I've seen the good and bad of most of them.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Civil engineer - Worked with many Civil engineers on some real cool ****. Most made 50 out of school but when they had the experience and could sit for the PE license they jumped up real quick. Downside is to maximize cash you have to get on at one of the bigger firms that run hire/fire cycles as projects kickoff and end.
IT - Do an online Bachelor's program in some IT field then do a MBA in Project Management. You don't have to know anything except how to push paper and control costs. Starting pay is mid 50's and if you are smart then you can get to mid 80s real quick. Downside is you have to do grunt IT helpdesk work before you can be a manager.
The guy that draws up CNC mill programs in an office while the operators are in the shop sweating their balls off - Drafting is always in demand. Starting pay is 18-22/hr but if youre smart you can move up quick. Even more so if you learn about databases and go into asset management. Every city/county does it, most manufacturing does it. Lots of consultants make good cash. You get to travel and you get a new project every couple weeks that keeps things fresh.
Anything with maps, survey, engineering... In TN 7 schools are dumping out students with degrees in mapping. The market for these people is primarily in local government and they top out at mid 40s. Surveying is a good job but youll be worn out at retirement age.
Graphic artist - Every art school, online program and most colleges offer a degree in graphic arts and a good deal of people are self trained. The last "graphic artist" my parents print shop employed had 100k in debt from a prestigious art school to then make $12/hr.

Id seriously consider learning either a specialized drafting platform (REVIT) or basic 2d/3d with some sort of database knowledge and get into asset management. IT can be soul crushing some days but if you get into IT in healthcare there is always a job and they pay well. Another field is getting into computer networking. Its not just sitting at a desk and doing mindless ****. Lots of moving around and the network guys get into some serious puzzles with troubleshooting.

I have zero insight in regards to the jobs/career fields you listed. That being said, I will say this...keep your options open. Prior to retiring from the Marines , I swore I would NEVER, EVER work in law enforcement. Well guess what, my dumb ass had to eat those words since I have been a deputy sheriff for almost ten years now. The pay isn't bad, I will have a second pension retirement when I retire from this and I get to do some fun stuff as well. Yeah, there is alot of bullshit to deal with but if you have thick skin and people skills, it isn't too bad. I have worked patrol, been an FTO, STO and SWAT operator and worked nine painful months in Financial Crimes. Currently a K9 handler and it is by far the best gig in the po-po world. Bottom line is this, this career field is one I had always given the cold shoulder to and in reality it is a fit for me...so keep your options open, you may just stumble into a career field you enjoy and make decent coin at the same time. I wish you the best of luck as it can be scary switching career fields but if you put solid effort into it, it will pay you back.

Was told the other day that industrial maintaince people are starting out around 60k. At the local junior/community college a industrial maintaince piece of paper can be had in 12-18months.

mikeparker said:
Was told the other day that industrial maintaince people are starting out around 60k. At the local junior/community college a industrial maintaince piece of paper can be had in 12-18months.

maintenance = overtime + weekends + holidays

usually

TBItoy said:
maintenance = overtime + weekends + holidays

usually

Depends really. One of my best friends is on maintenance where I work and will be pulling $62k a year after his raise in October, little overtime and rarely works holidays. No insurance though. But, he just got offered a job at the plant my wife works at in maintenance but with engineer in the title, engineer tech or some ****, $58k with good insurance and benefits. I'm really suprised they pay that good. He is smart as **** at fixing things. All he has is a 2 year degree in Industrial Electronics from local community college. He's been sent to workshops and such through a previous employer to learn more **** that helps on his resume too. He's done really well going that route.

Industrial maintenance is a pretty good field. It's a struggle to find people able or willing to do the work, so jobs are out there.

I'm in plant maintenance, I'm actually sitting at work right now. I have a two year degree from the local community college in Electro-Mechanical technology. I've been here just over 9 years. My annual base is $61,745, today's paycheck put me over that for the year. That's mostly because of the 25 straight night shift shutdown that I worked in the spring though. I've been an overtime whore ever since I've been here up until the last few months. A new woman in my life has slowed that down though. Lol. I haven't grossed less than $80K the last 6 years though. Two years ago I grossed over 6 figures, but that took 1K hours of OT, including 43 straight night shifts.

Most maintenance here works straight days, but we have small crews that work a 12 hr schedule that rotates between days and nights. That's what I'm on. It's a 4 week rotation. In those 4 weeks I work 7 day shifts and 7 night shifts, (4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, then 4 days) We work two weekends, then off two. We also work holidays. Hell or high water, we're here. I had a straight day job doing the same thing, off MOST weekends and holidays. But being a semi-young single guy the money I could make on shift was too much to pass up. One day I may want to get back to a M-F job but for now I'm happy with where I'm at. (Feet propped up on the desk, watching TV, and surfing hardline).

Re: Re: Colej ejecashun

hokie_yj said:
Industrial maintenance is a pretty good field. It's a struggle to find people able or willing to do the work, so jobs are out there.

I'm in plant maintenance, I'm actually sitting at work right now. I have a two year degree from the local community college in Electro-Mechanical technology. I've been here just over 9 years. My annual base is $61,745, today's paycheck put me over that for the year. That's mostly because of the 25 straight night shift shutdown that I worked in the spring though. I've been an overtime whore ever since I've been here up until the last few months. A new woman in my life has slowed that down though. Lol. I haven't grossed less than $80K the last 6 years though. Two years ago I grossed over 6 figures, but that took 1K hours of OT, including 43 straight night shifts.

Most maintenance here works straight days, but we have small crews that work a 12 hr schedule that rotates between days and nights. That's what I'm on. It's a 4 week rotation. In those 4 weeks I work 7 day shifts and 7 night shifts, (4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, then 4 days) We work two weekends, then off two. We also work holidays. Hell or high water, we're here. I had a straight day job doing the same thing, off MOST weekends and holidays. But being a semi-young single guy the money I could make on shift was too much to pass up. One day I may want to get back to a M-F job but for now I'm happy with where I'm at. (Feet propped up on the desk, watching TV, and surfing hardline).
Thats pretty good numbers right there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5BrothersFabrication said:
I had a sad, sad thought the other day- I'm 30 years from retirement age. I've seen guys in my line of work at 65, they're crippled up and can't move, and I don't think I want that for myself.
Looking to go back to school, I'm at the point where I really don't care what for. I need advice on what career path will put me in the 55k+ range, not be one of 700 applicants in the office trying to get a job, but most of all, I just want to work 40 ****ing hours and go home. OT is for the birds.

What I'd like to do (feel free to step in and tell me how bad each one is)-

Civil engineer
IT
The guy that draws up CNC mill programs in an office while the operators are in the shop sweating their balls off
Anything with maps, survey, engineering...
Graphic artist

Thanks in advance!

Dooder, I know you, I know that you are extremely smart and talented and that you will excel at anything that you put your mind to. With that being said I think you should peruse something in graphic design or engineering. I think that you should find something that makes you happy and that you can make a decent living at. I know you will do great at whatever you decide.

Re: Re: Colej ejecashun

TacomaJD said:
Thats pretty good numbers right there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm very blessed to have the job I do, no doubt. Sure I may bitch and moan about it from time to time, but I honestly can't go anywhere else and make what I do with the education I have for as little actual work as I do. The base salary is enough for a decent living, and working the shift schedule works out to about a 15% pay increase for the year (8hrs of built in overtime per check and a small shift premium on night shifts) The purse strings have tightened up a bit over the last few years, but at one time you could basically write your own paycheck in maintenance here. The downside is you pretty much have to live here to bring in big money, and that doesn't leave much time for enjoying life. Hence the reason I have a still ongoing 6 year buggy build in my shop. For years I was single and had a disregard females and acquire currency mentality. laughing1 But I recently met the love of my life and it's kinda made me realize that there's more to life, and that enjoying life is more important than a big bank account. We can't take it with us when we go anyway.

truckbroke said:
Not sure if your near a military base but, its not a bad gig at all. Pays good and you have plenty of time off. You could start out as a Heavy Mobile Equipment mechanic. That`s not like a mechanic job in town what so ever. I promise it can be a damn good career. www.USAJOBs.com

I wish I did! I remember the mechanics rebuilding our 5 tons not doing much of ****!

Eddyj said:
Have you applied for shop manager at murrah motorsports world headquarters? If you can deal with the constant sexual harassment from the owner it might be worth looking into. From the pics of the shop I've seen, that place is a real dumpster fire.

I wish, but that sumbitch works weekends!

hokie_yj said:
I'm very blessed to have the job I do, no doubt. Sure I may bitch and moan about it from time to time, but I honestly can't go anywhere else and make what I do with the education I have for as little actual work as I do. The base salary is enough for a decent living, and working the shift schedule works out to about a 15% pay increase for the year (8hrs of built in overtime per check and a small shift premium on night shifts) The purse strings have tightened up a bit over the last few years, but at one time you could basically write your own paycheck in maintenance here. The downside is you pretty much have to live here to bring in big money, and that doesn't leave much time for enjoying life. Hence the reason I have a still ongoing 6 year buggy build in my shop. For years I was single and had a disregard females and acquire currency mentality. laughing1 But I recently met the love of my life and it's kinda made me realize that there's more to life, and that enjoying life is more important than a big bank account. We can't take it with us when we go anyway.

We are a manufacturing based city, this may be the way to go. I do like money...

ljholmann said:
Dooder, I know you, I know that you are extremely smart and talented and that you will excel at anything that you put your mind to. With that being said I think you should peruse something in graphic design or engineering. I think that you should find something that makes you happy and that you can make a decent living at. I know you will do great at whatever you decide.

Thank you, dear! ;D

onepieceatatime said:
I drive a truck delivering equipment for Sunbelt. First time in 10 years I've had a normal M-F schedule. As far as truck driving jobs go this one is the tits! Worst part is dealing with other whiny ass drivers. Seems the longer they've worked there the more they cry. Just don't think they understand what the rest of the trucking industry is like.

I love driving big trucks and I guess it's in my blood because my grandpa and his brothers did it and so did his dad and uncles. Too many regulations and sue happy mother ****ers in 4 wheelers on the road are causing me to keep my eye out for other jobs though too. Probably gonna keep doing this till we build our new house because I get free rental equipment and tools.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Good call. :driving: :gtfo:

About a decade ago, I remember reading an article that manufacturing would start returning to the US. Not because we found heart and wanted folks to be employed, but because it would be cheaper to service the industry buying the goods. "But how" you might ask... "who would possibly accept less wage than millions of chinese workers??". Robots.

I've wondered about this my entire adult life which is now longer than my childhood. And one common theme I keep seeing is: Service Industry. SERVE those that have the money. Our middle class is shrinking. It will never come back as we know it. If you can not be part of the 1%'ers, then learn how to make money off serving them.

I've been in IT for 20 years, I've adapted throughout that time frame. And even been downsized and furloughed during that time. IT is very cut-throat. I've got a plan away from IT that I need to execute at some point, but it's scary as hell.

I think industrial maintenance is a great field. My brother works in it at Honda and makes great money. It's what I would do if I wasn't already headed down a different path and if I ever decide to change, then it's my first choice.

I'm in the medical field, which isn't for everyone, but there's great money, room for advancement, and there's always gonna be a job. Almost finished with my RN.

hokie_yj said:
Damn big E high rollers. How about you let me borrow some cash buddy lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk