• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Colej ejecashun

Great thread! I have been beating myself up about this a lot as of lately. I been a Machinist both Manual and CNC for about 13 years and I'm growing tired of it :****: there is great money in Machining world but experience is name of the game and getting in at the right job but I get tired of being couped in a building all the time. I've been considering going back to school just don't know what I want to do yet.

Re: Re: Re: Colej ejecashun

hokie_yj said:
I'm very blessed to have the job I do, no doubt. Sure I may bitch and moan about it from time to time, but I honestly can't go anywhere else and make what I do with the education I have for as little actual work as I do. The base salary is enough for a decent living, and working the shift schedule works out to about a 15% pay increase for the year (8hrs of built in overtime per check and a small shift premium on night shifts) The purse strings have tightened up a bit over the last few years, but at one time you could basically write your own paycheck in maintenance here. The downside is you pretty much have to live here to bring in big money, and that doesn't leave much time for enjoying life. Hence the reason I have a still ongoing 6 year buggy build in my shop. For years I was single and had a disregard females and acquire currency mentality. laughing1 But I recently met the love of my life and it's kinda made me realize that there's more to life, and that enjoying life is more important than a big bank account. We can't take it with us when we go anyway.
My job is really close to your description. However we have shift maintenance that rotates every 7days between all 3 shifts. All the new guys are forced to work shift until a position opens up on day shift. I'm still on shift and the schedule sucks but the built in 8hrs of ot and shift differential make up for it a little.

I was in hotel maintenance/management for 10 years. Got tired of the bs from sorry employee's decided to change careers (unfortunately a huge cut in pay starting out) and went to an electric motor shop to get industrial experience and a change of scenery.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Dwill817 said:
I think industrial maintenance is a great field. My brother works in it at Honda and makes great money. It's what I would do if I wasn't already headed down a different path and if I ever decide to change, then it's my first choice.

I'm in the medical field, which isn't for everyone, but there's great money, room for advancement, and there's always gonna be a job. Almost finished with my RN.

My best friend is in industrial maintenance at honda also. He makes killer money, but rotates shifts every week, works every weekend and holiday.

DallasBlade said:
My best friend is in industrial maintenance at honda also. He makes killer money, but rotates shifts every week, works every weekend and holiday.

What's his name?

Re: Re: Re: Colej ejecashun

ranger11 said:
My job is really close to your description. However we have shift maintenance that rotates every 7days between all 3 shifts. All the new guys are forced to work shift until a position opens up on day shift. I'm still on shift and the schedule sucks but the built in 8hrs of ot and shift differential make up for it a little.

Way back in the day, before my time here, they worked the rotating 8 hr shifts here too. 4 crews covering the 3 8hr shifts, now we have 4 crews working 12hr shifts so there is always two crews off. All the old timers that were here back the say the 12hr shifts are much better. Some of the guys I work with have been doing this for 40+ years so they've seen some ****.

TacomaJD said:
I been thinking about taking the Breaking Bad path and polishing up my culinary skills... :flipoff1:

Literally told my wife that very thing last week, and my high school chemistry teacher's name is Walt.

Re:

Same here just had a guy retire after 46 years with the company.
I wish we would do the 12hr shifts but most here don't want to work 12s without being paid ot.

If you can fab, read prints, wire, plumb, and generally understand mechanics and electricity you could get a job as a machine builder. The work is feast or famine though. Luckily I work for a small family owned business that keeps enough $ banked to keep us on ~30hr weeks between jobs instead of "mandatory OT or Layoff" schedule that some bigger shops keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig ditches..........it's muddy, nasty , backbreaking work......... But I'm good at it. It's what my daddy did. It's what my brothers did. It's just what I do. When I dig a ditch, I lay a piece of pipe in it, cover the pipe up and smooth the ground up real nice so you can't tell I've been there.......when I go home at night all tired and sore I feel good about a hard days work.......****, any body got a gun I can blow my brains out with. I'm 65 years old, can't dig anymore but my Medicare just kicked in and I can draw $1650.00 per month. You young fellers pay real close attention to what I just posted.

grcthird said:
Literally told my wife that very thing last week, and my high school chemistry teacher's name is Walt.
I was a chemist for three years....

Just saying...

I spend a fair amount of time on Hardline, mostly trying to learn from others' experiences. I usually prefer to keep my opinions to myself, but I read your original post and thought a response was appropriate as I was in a similar situation just a few years ago.

After I graduated high school, I went straight to college. It was a disaster! I achieved a 0.25 GPA my first semester and had a similar performance the following spring. The problem was... I wasn't there because I wanted to be, but rather, because that's what my folks expected me to do. I can say with certainty that that's the wrong reason to go to college (or do anything for that matter).

So, I moved back home and found a job working at a tire store. I did that for a time plus a couple of other short-lived jobs before I got a job changing oil at a GM dealership. I enjoyed it enough to stick with it and work my way up to a full bumper-to-bumper technician. Almost ten years after that first day on the lube rack, I decided that turning wrenches was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The hard part was making the decision to leave my comfort zone of earning a decent living to do... something else. I took the leap. I started working at a small sheet metal shop thinking that fab work is what I wanted to do. It wasn't easy work, but it was a change of pace. A few months in, I was working on a job and some question came up about a drawing, so I asked my boss. He responded "I'll have to check with the engineers.". I thought to myself "What do the engineers do?". Shortly after that I began reading about the field of engineering and discovered how broad it is. I began looking back on my life experiences and considering my strenghs and aptitudes. I wanted to be an engineer! Thinking back, it seemed like an "ahh-ha" moment, although that likely spanned a period of a couple months. I talked to my wife about going back to school to get a degree in mechanical engineering. Luckily, she supported me. In fact, her exact words were "You're not getting any younger!". So there I was, 33 years old, about to be a college student again. I worked hard and put all my effort into learning as much as possible. The difference this go-around was that I wanted to be there, unlike before. (It makes a difference!) Well, 3.5 years later I walked out with a BS in mechanical engineering at 36 years of age. I landed an internship my senior year which turned into full employment upon graduation. I'll be 38 next month, and I work as a mechanical design engineer for a company called Molex. Things could change down the road (and they probably will), but I certainly love my career path at this point.

You're doing the correct thing by reaching out to others and trying to learn about various careers. Whether it's engineering or whatever, I encourage you to follow your dreams. Do the things for which you have a passion.

I echo the comments of others in saying... it's never too late to get started.

Best of luck on your journey!

Re: Re: Colej ejecashun

waggener1 said:
I spend a fair amount of time on Hardline, mostly trying to learn from others' experiences. I usually prefer to keep my opinions to myself, but I read your original post and thought a response was appropriate as I was in a similar situation just a few years ago.

After I graduated high school, I went straight to college. It was a disaster! I achieved a 0.25 GPA my first semester and had a similar performance the following spring. The problem was... I wasn't there because I wanted to be, but rather, because that's what my folks expected me to do. I can say with certainty that that's the wrong reason to go to college (or do anything for that matter).

So, I moved back home and found a job working at a tire store. I did that for a time plus a couple of other short-lived jobs before I got a job changing oil at a GM dealership. I enjoyed it enough to stick with it and work my way up to a full bumper-to-bumper technician. Almost ten years after that first day on the lube rack, I decided that turning wrenches was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The hard part was making the decision to leave my comfort zone of earning a decent living to do... something else. I took the leap. I started working at a small sheet metal shop thinking that fab work is what I wanted to do. It wasn't easy work, but it was a change of pace. A few months in, I was working on a job and some question came up about a drawing, so I asked my boss. He responded "I'll have to check with the engineers.". I thought to myself "What do the engineers do?". Shortly after that I began reading about the field of engineering and discovered how broad it is. I began looking back on my life experiences and considering my strenghs and aptitudes. I wanted to be an engineer! Thinking back, it seemed like an "ahh-ha" moment, although that likely spanned a period of a couple months. I talked to my wife about going back to school to get a degree in mechanical engineering. Luckily, she supported me. In fact, her exact words were "You're not getting any younger!". So there I was, 33 years old, about to be a college student again. I worked hard and put all my effort into learning as much as possible. The difference this go-around was that I wanted to be there, unlike before. (It makes a difference!) Well, 3.5 years later I walked out with a BS in mechanical engineering at 36 years of age. I landed an internship my senior year which turned into full employment upon graduation. I'll be 38 next month, and I work as a mechanical design engineer for a company called Molex. Things could change down the road (and they probably will), but I certainly love my career path at this point.

You're doing the correct thing by reaching out to others and trying to learn about various careers. Whether it's engineering or whatever, I encourage you to follow your dreams. Do the things for which you have a passion.

I echo the comments of others in saying... it's never too late to get started.

Best of luck on your journey!
Really like stories like this. Congratulations!

I'm also a industrial maintenance/electrician at Cintas for 2 years this is my first job in the field and so far have enjoyed it. I have a lot of friends that's in this field mostly make between 70k-90k with overtime. Me being single with no kids the overtime isn't worth it to me when I can't enjoy the things I work everyday for. I now work maybe one Saturday a month which I can't complain with. This field is a high demand really in my area which is Gadsden. Whenever I leave here more than likely it will be in the robotics programming/maintenance. The demand for this field is going to increase in the future with a lot of the older guys retiring and only kids being brought up today that has no life skills. Experience is the key with 2-5 years you can get a job anywhere

AT 36 I went back to a local CC for Occupational therapy assistant because I literally dreaded going to work every day. At 38 I went back to Belmont to get my Masters in OT because I knew I had found what I loved and It wasn't going to leave my crippled up and miserable as I got older. It's not to late to start over. If you don't like what you do, or if it's breaking your body down, get out of it while you still can.

Volkrawler said:
AT 36 I went back to a local CC for Occupational therapy assistant because I literally dreaded going to work every day. At 38 I went back to Belmont to get my Masters in OT because I knew I had found what I loved and It wasn't going to leave my crippled up and miserable as I got older. It's not to late to start over. If you don't like what you do, or if it's breaking your body down, get out of it while you still can.

My boss's boss sometimes have to sign off on my college reimbursement papers through work and he always checks in on my progress. He always says stuff like "You're doing exactly what I did, stick with it, it will pay off, I was 37 when I finished college, etc." and he is one of the few top dogs below the plant manager. Ask around like this thread and you'll be surprised how many people went back or started college in their 30's and dramatically improved their lives. I am 30 yr old now, 6 classes left and I'll have an AS in Business, then will pursue a BS in Business through Huntingdon College provided nothing happens to my current job in the meantime, and then who knows....might hammer down and get an MBA if I'm not burnt out on college by then. Depends on where I'm at in my career at that point I guess.

Re: Re: Colej ejecashun

IT guy here.

Not sure why everyone seems to think it's so damn complicated (it really isn't - most people just don't pay a basic sense of attention under the guise that it's super complicated (their minds turn off)- kinda sad being this is coming from someone with ADD). It really depends on where in IT you want to end up, and who you end up working for.

Coding languages are for developers these days, you're not going to need to know every language in existence like in the old days when you had to code a mainframe in Cobol (and for those extremely rare and fringe cases where Cobol is still in use, they have developers who write the code, you usually end up on the machine and networking side of things). Developers are going to blame their idiocy and inadequacies on you and your hardware. (99.9% of the time, it's not your problem) IT guys these days hardly ever code anything except when it comes to automation of their time consuming tasks. And to be frank you can pretty much do that with any language you chose to learn (C, Perl, Python, etc).
All protocols are standardized, while there maybe new protocols and whatnot in development, most companies try to milk their environment for every last drop of worth before they start adapting new ones. Great example of this, IPv6 (Internet protocol) has been in the works since circa 1998, and it has yet to be fully adopted. They got a 2020 goal for unilateral deployment, but there's only like 19% adoption (not sure on the exact number but it was like 10% last december) to it and we're out of available addresses on the internet and should have already moved to it years ago.
I still find guys running Windows XP and they're causing me problems because they're so far behind and can't correctly connect to my servers because they don't support modern encryption.

Technology moves at a blinding pace, but unless you're working Fortune 500 or at a lean startup, and depending on what you do, you're likely going to spend 90% of your life fixing "my email doesn't work" rather than deploying new groundbreaking technologies. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't advance your career by learning these new things (you have to stay relevant in this field), but that I've spent a lot of my career doing so only for them to die or stave off in popularity to obscurity enough to know that with most companies your job is going to be maintaining an aging infrastructure and needing to maintain backwards compatibility with numerous clients that hate change. It's a thankless job. When everything is working you get asked "What do we even pay you for?" And when something goes wrong you get asked "What do we even pay you for?!"...

Enter this field if you desire to be constantly blamed for everything despite having undeniable proof of their inability to type in a password correctly let alone ensure they didn't rip their lan cable out of the jack with their foot. Be prepared for inexplicable failures and damage to hardware. Yes, that GBIC transceiver is flapping again. Yes, the one you just replaced.

It's not an easy job, but if you're up to the task, it's not the hardest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Having a criminal background can prevent you from a lot of things mostly the fire fighting and ems background I was set in. Now I hope to landscape until I can't so trying to start and build a business so I can sit in a office by 50.

Latest posts