• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Converting 14 bolt hubs to studs and nuts

redneckengineered

Trailer Park Panty Dropper
Been seeing comments pop up in random threads about a "lack of tech" on hardline so I will do my part to try and post more. The last real tech thread I posted was my 14 bolt front build.

This is super simple but hey, it took me a little while and some decent research to put this kit together so hopefully it will help someone. I got the idea from Pirate but the info was scattered through a 4 page thread. I'm just putting it together in one post :dblthumb:

hub studs - Dorman 675-109
ARP 12pt nuts - 300-8336
ARP flat washers - 200-8534

Attachments

• 20180112_172001.jpg
    20180112_172001.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 399
I had wondered about trying something like that. I always tack welded mine which works fine till you have to get them out. Right now im rocking the yukon grade whatever bolts with red thread lock and nord locks. So far its holding but i expect them to start leaking every ride.

BUG-E J said:
I had wondered about trying something like that. I always tack welded mine which works fine till you have to get them out. Right now im rocking the yukon grade whatever bolts with red thread lock and nord locks. So far its holding but i expect them to start leaking every ride.

I put Dorman studs in my jeep but just a mix match of nuts not the bling arp.

redneckengineered said:
ballin on a budget

Yeah definitely on a budget. I'm going to screen shot this and do I on my my current project.

Where your shafts some what of a pain to get on?

On the 14 bolt hub on the jeep. It's like the holes weren't drilled perpendicular to the face of the hub so once you got an inch off the face the run out of the studs made them not line up anymore with the original bolt pattern.

kmcminn said:
Yeah definitely on a budget. I'm going to screen shot this and do I on my my current project.

Where your shafts some what of a pain to get on?

On the 14 bolt hub on the jeep. It's like the holes weren't drilled perpendicular to the face of the hub so once you got an inch off the face the run out of the studs made them not line up anymore with the original bolt pattern.

No everything seemed to line up really well.

Appreciate this tech, I converted my hubs to studs. Had ongoing issues with keep threads in hubs...Although i didnt use the bling Mark Williams and ARP stuff. Just a broke ass :JRich:

I used the Dorman studs listed above (purchased on Summit), SAE Flat Washers with Hardened Nyloc nuts...with a lot of red loctite.

2018-07-19_09-25-34 by Ben Burwinkel, on Flickr

bbtank45 said:
Appreciate this tech, I converted my hubs to studs. Had ongoing issues with keep threads in hubs...Although i didnt use the bling Mark Williams and ARP stuff. Just a broke ass :JRich:

I used the Dorman studs listed above (purchased on Summit), SAE Flat Washers with Hardened Nyloc nuts...with a lot of red loctite.

Have a part number for the hardened nyloc nuts?

The-Boss said:
Have a part number for the hardened nyloc nuts?

They're Grade 8 really....not the cheapest on Amazon, but damn convenient when im web wheeling/shopping at work

Nuts 1/2-20 (2 packs @ $6.70/pack)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093OCUSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Studs (2 @ $16.99/ea)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-675-109

And i used these extra thick SAE washers to minimize the thread projection past the nut. Hopefully it'll help save the exposed threads if/when i have to back the nuts off..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M01QU3M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts