• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cooling problems

blaz4x4

I have finished my toyota project but am having one last problem. I have a 1980 toyota with tbi 350 with a th350 trans and dual toy t- cases. the radiator I have is a howe two row. core size is 23" wide and 19 " tall. It will not get hot right away but the longer it runs the hotter it gets. I have changed the thermostat (180) installed a high flow pump. the only thing that is different than when this engine was in the blazer is I caped off the line that went to the heater core. Running a 6 blade flex fan. I have also tried a differint gage, no change. Is this just not enough radiator to cool this thing. It seems bigger than the one I ran I my jeep years ago with a v8. I was hoping maybe you cooling system buffs could give me an idea.

I have had the same problem in my jeep (351w) big engine small radiator and compartment. It sounds like you need a bigger radiator to start with. maybe a 3 or 4 core. Do you have a fan shroud on? if not the biggest fan wont do any good if its not directing most of its flow through the radiator. also try getting heat out of the engine compartment. I did this by removing the inner fenderwells and lifting the hood about 1/2' (easy on a cj) you might consider a hood scoop thats open on the back to lett heat out. I even have seen in montana guys put electric fans on their hood to draw the heat out.

Your situation isn't that different from mine.

If I was you, I'd get rid of the flex fan and install a fixed 7 blade fan, try for a 17 incher. Space it so that it's around an inch or inch and half from the radiator. Don't use a clutch fan style, but rather a 'fixed' fan style. Put (build) a fan shroud.

Then recheck cooling capacity.

On mine, I also added a electric pusher fan in front of the radiator and louvered the hood.

Cooling is all about letting the air flowing thru the radiator take the heat out. That means engine heat into coolant heat and then into atmospheric air flow. You can increase the radiator so that the coolant absorbs more of the engine heat, but if you can't get it out of the radiator, then what? More air flow thru. On mine, my engine runs such low RPM that the mechanical fan can't pull enough CFMs, so I added the pusher fan in front. The shroud just keeps both fans (front & rear) efficient by not allowing any pulling capacity to slip around the radiator. And the only reason I louvered my hood was for fear that the engine compartment was trapping the heat inside and not letting the air flow thru.

Do I still get hot? Yeah, on a rare occassion. It's a characteristic of the 401s. But realllly rare. Really long, steap hill climbs that are crawled, at elevation (6000ft+), and only during hot days (90+).

Kinda the same situation I got going on..

I just got the 26x19 summit universal rad to upgrade over my small rad. (18x17 core)

I'm gonna try like hell to get the electric fan onto the engine side as a puller... it's marginal as a pusher.

I need to get the heat out. When I was overheating at reiter on the 3rd... my hood prop rod was getting hot enough to burn my hands...

More airflow + letting the heat out is the solution.

Ditch the radiator for an alum one and the flex fan for an electric, ZIRGO makes a killer fan that pulls more CFM than any I've seen. Or run a fixed blade fan with a good shroud, I have seen those flex fans come apart at hi rpm..... not good. also the new extended life (HOAT) coolants do a better job of carrying heat away than the old style green coolant, I switched coolants and seen a 5 degree drop in operating temps

Airflow is key but having more coolant capacity never hurts either. :cool:

Latest posts