• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cordless drills

pbmcauliffe

What are you using and having good long term luck with?

My year old 14.4v Hitachi is dying, extended battery doesn't last very long, and the standard ones that came with it don't hold a charge at all. Overall the drill works good, but sometimes smells like it is on fire.

So what have you had good luck with?

pbmcauliffe said:
What are you using and having good long term luck with?

My year old 14.4v Hitachi is dying, extended battery doesn't last very long, and the standard ones that came with it don't hold a charge at all. Overall the drill works good, but sometimes smells like it is on fire.

So what have you had good luck with?

dewalts work well

Rigid. I have used Dewalt and switched when rigid offered free life time warranty even on the batteries. I have had both of them for over 2 years and havent really had a problem with either,one is 12v and the other is 14.4
The dual 30 minute charger is pretty cool also..

landbruiser1 said:
Rigid. I use to use Dewalt and switched when rigid offered free life time warranty even on the batteries. I have had both of them for over 2 years and havent really had a problem with either one is 12v and the other is 14.4.
The dual 30 minute charger is pretty cool also..

Yeh, I was just told about the Rigid lifetime warranty deal on the phone, I'll look into that.

The only bad thing is that they are pretty heavy compared to the others, but that means super heavy duty, I use mine everyday at work. I am a sparky and that the main tool most of us use.

I no its expensive, but the milwaukee 28 volt is the last one you will ever buy.Yes its heavier, but batteries last a long time and it outpowers any ive ever seen. Comes w/ 2 batteries. This thing will take off rusty u bolts no problem. Never seen anything compare with its strength, reliability and battery life.:D

as a contractor who uses them all day at times I have always been happy with the Makita units. They tend to have the best charge time on the batteries and are well balanced drills. For the last year or so I have been using a dewalt 14.4 drill hammer drill. Great tool but it dosent like larger drill bits or holesaws as well as the makita.(gets hot and chatters) The dewalt tends to get hot real rasy with repetetive drilling and the batt life sucks so I keep two on the charger all the time. If I was to need to buy one today I would go back to the Makita in a heartbeat. I like the fact that dewalt has all of the other tools you could want in cordless as well and they all use the same batteries dpending on which voltage system you use.

HOrunner said:
I no its expensive, but the milwaukee 28 volt is the last one you will ever buy.Yes its heavier, but batteries last a long time and it outpowers any ive ever seen. Comes w/ 2 batteries. This thing will take off rusty u bolts no problem. Never seen anything compare with its strength, reliability and battery life.:D

We used a bunch of milwaukee stuff at work for a while and I was very disappointed with the battery life of those units. I have had dewalt 12v, black and decker 14.4, and now a rigid 14.4. The rigid has ALOT of power, the b&d was blah and battery life sucked, the dewalt lasted and lasted.

Milwaukee 18V that gets worked. It is not taken care of at all and the thing doesn't miss a beat. I have had Dewalt, Makita and Black n Decker and they didn't withstand the punishment we can dish up.

Dewalt has always held up to my abusive punishments, but in recent years, they have increased the drill size and weight. Some like a heavy drill, some not so much.

Milwaukee are great drills, cept their bateries have a tendency to rip off in heavy falls. Boch are over priced, but heavy duty along with Dewalt. Makita relys on their once great reputation, however now lacking the greatness, they are still ok.

I had a 12 volt dewalt that I beat the shiat out of and then I traded it to a freind who beat the shiat out of it some more.

I have a 18 volt makita I bought about 5 years ago that still kicks azz batterys and all I dont use it at work but it does get used

I bought the boush radio that came with a 14.4 volt drill the batterys suck they don't hold a charge I was very disapointed

If your looking for torqh go with a 18 volt the batterys don't last as long but you can't beat the torqh

And if you use it for a lot for screws go with a impact driver I use the impact driver 90% more than the drills

Last edited:
i use a B&D firestorm 14.4, and it does perfect for everything i need a cordless drill/driver to do. for the rest, i have an old corded skill 1/2 drive that works like there is no tomorrow...

Makita's don't seem to hold up as well as they used too.

Got a couple Dewalt 12vlts now and love 'em. On year number 2 with the first.

Ridgid came out with a lithium ion 24 volt that is priced fairly low. A guy I work with bought the kit and it seems to be great. When my dewalt wears out I will go with it.

i have had my dewalt 14.4 for 6 years plus, have dropped it many times, from 10 feet or more, still outpowers makita, and outlasts on battery life. that said i just upgraded to the 18 volt dewalt, so far its great