• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Couple of toyota questions

slednecks1124

I have a 95 toyota 4runner, ever since we got it the gauge cluster has always made kind of a real quiet ticking/grinding sound at certain speeds. I believe its the speedo that is making the noise, anyone else had this problem or know how to get rid of it?

Also, If i am driving down the road and move the steering wheel either direction like just to the point past the very tiny amount of slop in the steering I can feel the steering wheel shake, if you turn it past that point then the shaking in the wheel stops. Any idea what this might be?

I have a 95 toyota 4runner, ever since we got it the gauge cluster has always made kind of a real quiet ticking/grinding sound at certain speeds. I believe its the speedo that is making the noise, anyone else had this problem or know how to get rid of it?

Also, If i am driving down the road and move the steering wheel either direction like just to the point past the very tiny amount of slop in the steering I can feel the steering wheel shake, if you turn it past that point then the shaking in the wheel stops. Any idea what this might be?

99% of the time it needs a speedo head.

and have your tires balanced.

Yup, and yup....but also check for any play in tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, even ball joints (lowers are fairly common to wear out)---as any play in these could also magnify the slightest imbalance in a front tire....:awesomework:

Try lubricating the speedometer cable ( if it has one, I forget which years do ).

The idler arm is the arm that's mounted to the pass framerail and it holds the pass side steering linkage up!!!

You're not going to find a speedo cable on a 95. The speedo itself may be making noise however. Just unplug the speedo sender from the rear of the t case and go for a drive. No noise you found your issue.